338 300 smk

mike33

For the shooters that have taken elk and deer say 800 yards + with the 338's rums, edge's, etc. how does the bullet do far as going thru, staying inside, etc. Basicly im looking for a damage report.
Mike

My 2008 bull, 526 yards, 338 Lapua, 2860 MV, bullet stopped after passing through oposite shoulder and almost made it out.

My 2009 bull with the same set up was at 1130 yards.. DRT and I didnt recover the bullet. I think it is in the gut pile after passing through the front of the shoulder with the bull slightly 1/4 facing me.

I have also taken many deer and antelope with them. Never tracked anything. Not even the coyote at 880 yards a few weeks ago. :D They shoot great and I believe in accuracy and bullet placement.

Jeff gun)gun)

DSC00643Medium.jpg

DSC00685Medium.jpg

I got a large cow elk at 746yds 300smk @2900fps in 338impLapua.
1st bullet was a slight quartering towards - hit the bback lung, through the diaphragm and liver and recovered under the skin in two large pieces - jacket/lead.
2nd bullet - moderate quartering towards - hit the shoulder, blew up two ribs, massive lung damage, through the diaphragm and recovered under the snkin in two pieces - both smaller than the first hit which did not hit bone.
THE bullets looked similar to the previous pst.

The shoulder that was hit had a lot of damage to the point of being almost unuseable.

A mule deer at 550 high chest pass through - dropped.
I like the bullet a lot - very easy to shoot accurately with.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.