338-300 PRC

100percent

Looked around for this combination with little result. Anybody put one of these together and why? I let my smith talk me out of a 33 Nosler for this one for the cool factor, I guess! Looking more like a beltless 338WM with a mismatched head stamp. . This is a lightish hunting build, not for extreme long range but, I do like to shoot long targets for practice. Idea is to shoot 250 vld's at 3.65" COAL. Going with a 26" barrel

Thoughts??

Thanks,

Sounds like your gunsmith just wants to build one. I used to go to a gunsmith with lots of opinions. If you're interested in a wildcat go with the 338 Edge.

originally called the 338 campfire. it was designed of the 375 Ruger case which is the parent of the 300 PRC.

with better quality brass than the old 375 Ruger brass it will be a better option than the 338 RUM if you want to keep your OAL to fit in unmodified factory actions and still have an honest long range gun that wont break the bank

originally called the 338 campfire. it was designed of the 375 Ruger case which is the parent of the 300 PRC.

with better quality brass than the old 375 Ruger brass it will be a better option than the 338 RUM if you want to keep your OAL to fit in unmodified factory actions and still have an honest long range gun that wont break the bank
Thanks for your response. That's the idea! Not sure if it will surpass performance of the RUM but, will be able to keep COAL to standard length

I'd go back to the 33 Nosler and have the smith throat it long enough to seat out to the same 3.65". Sure you may lose out on a bit of velocity with the 250s compared to the 338-300PRC, but if you ever want to run the 265/285s ABLR/ELD or some of the heavier monos the 33 Nosler will be set up better for that efficiency wise with it's shorter case shoulder datum. Plus then you can still run factory ammo in a pinch