338-284

Possum284

338-284
I have to build a custom rifle for school and was thinking of chambering it for 338-284. it is a winchester long action and I know why not just 338-06 but what fun is that I was planning on a 26 in. barrel cause you can always cut it shorter. But my thought was I could load the bullets out really far to utiize all the case capacity cause I could load them out to like 3.4 instead of 2.8. just curious if anyone has ny expirience with this round or what any info is appreciated.
progress.gif

Not a bad idea, definately something different. You may consider opening the bolt face for a 338 WSM wich would give you better performance while remaining relitavely short. Mag feeding is less than ideal with any 40 degree shoulder cartridge I've tried. JMHO.

338\284

Possum,
Built this cal for a buddy, very good cal. Relatively fast,and accurate! If I needed a bigger cal. than 284 win I would not hesitate to build a
338\284.
Wayne

from the little bit I have found on it, it seems to geerate decent velocites especially withh 200 and 225 grain bullets

you have a long action, use it. how about a 338/300Win Mag? putting a 338 on a long action with a 284 case seems like kissing your sister. why a 26" barrel with a 284 case and 338 bore? the minimum case for a 338 bore should be a WSM. would be a better project cause you'll have to alter the bolt face and put a different extractor while you're at it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.