338 250 grain accubond/TTSX

Funny you ask!!!!! I just finished at the range today with 225 accubonds compared to the 265 LRX. The gun was built and tuned witht he accubonds and IT IS A TACK DRIVER...
I am woking up a load with the 265's and they are not nearly as accurate out of my McWhorter 338 Lapua. I am going to change the powder a little more and see if I can improve. The last group of 3 I fired put 2 through the same hole and one about .5 inches out but that might just be lucky... Going to work at it a little more... I know this does not match your question but it is similar
Mario

I'd like to hear more from your testing. I have a 338 Lapua too, it likes 250 lapua mira's and 300 smk's.

What I am building currently is a 338-06 ai and I read it like]s the 225 grain bullet range but I see the 250 accubond has a higher bc. I'm wondering if I should have it throated for 1 specific bullet as so many on here typically do. My 338 lapua is throated for 300 smk's but it shoots 250 lapua mira's like a laser. So I'm wondering about the 225 and 250 accubonds, ttsx and I read that unfortunately the Barnes x bullet is no longer produced. If you shoot any of these I'd like to hear , do you know how fast they leave the muzzle. The 338-06 ai is slower than the lapua as you know I'm sure.

Well, I am very new to thi. Got my gun 2 nights ago and built the load based off h-1000 recs of 77-83 gr of powder. The bullet is sooo long to get that weight that it sits in the case a significant amount. I do not have a chrono yet, shipping as I type.

Don't know how far off the lands I am either.... Yet. Gauges shipping too. I made the COAL the same as the 225 accu was so that I had no issue with length.

My next is to take the powder up to the Rec max. If no better, Chang the primers to fed 225 match as I am using CCI now. Also have some retumbo tht I will try.
Also have some MRX 185 grain that I will try too.

I am new at this so I am welcome to suggestions. Jut don't like accubonds much.

Retumbo typically works good in Lapua. The guy who built my 7mm stw tested it as he uses it exclusively in his 338 lapua improved and it worked great in my stw when he shot it during the build/breakin according to him.

His lapua improved has a long barrel though 30" I believe so that may make a difference. I've read about Kirby Allen on here using the 250 Accubonds or maybe the amax's though. Check his posts or website, there might be some info on them.

I haven't loaded Retumbo yet but I will be trying it.

Stay in touch.

Ed

Sounds good Ed. Thank you!! McWhorter uses some Swiss powder. Name slips me now but n560 or something. May go to that if I can't get anything else to work.
Keep in touch Ed!!!

Also have some MRX 185 grain that I will try too.
Mario,
I would like you to keep me updated on how the MRXs work out. It is the round I chose (225gr) when I graduated from my 1953 Mod 70 FW .270 back in 2008 for my T3-338WM SS Lite. It replaced the 140gr Black Talon .270.
I have the 185, 225 & 250gr MRXs & and all the TTSXs. I only worked up 1 load and it was 225 MRX @ 3,000fps. I knew I could get it up there (ragged edge) since it had the heavyer than lead suppository= more powder! Since then I lucked out an found out that Nellie loves 185gr GMX Supperformance store bought, and 185s don't kick as much as 225grs-No Brake.:rolleyes:
Good luck.

I would go with the AB, makes a bigger wound channel, but will have better penetration with the TSX, but I haven't learned to quit trust the TSX yet, had a buck carry one off from my 7stw last year, the AB just plants them.
FEgun)

LTLR, Has shot a ton of stuff on here w/tsx. I have shot them for years usually in a lighter weight for caliber but not always. They are a very tough bullet and super penetrate and retain more weight than a AB. I have good accuracy from both. In my 340 tsx usually shot through elk. I have shot a 3/8 group at 100 w/257 w/tsx. My son shot a bull at 540 w/180 tsx and 325 wsm, I shot one at 501 w/200 NAB, DROPPED in tracks, I shot higher by not taking enough for steep angle. I hunt in alders alot and use to pack a clip of each, they shot very close to 400, 180 tsx/200 NAB IN 325WSM. I have shot quite a few NAB 225 and I am working on 250 for the 340 this winter. I like the NABS and shoot them quite a bit.I timber shot a bull and recovered NAB 200 on far side, broke opposite shoulder about 4'' from knuckle, at heavy part of blade, kept about 65% weight. I may load some 250 or 300 for my Norma in NAB for timber.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.