338-06 ?

Cowboyblaster

Im wondering if anyone in this forum could tell me where this chambering originated what was the intent of such a round id never heard of a 338 06 until my brother in law picked one up from a friend. A little history on it would be good I've tried to Google it but not much comes up for me

I built mine on a VZ24 Brno made Mauser 98, with Gentry 3 position safety, Gisselle Obendorf bottom metal, Timney trigger and custom stock with exhibition grade English walnut.
I first heard of this round in the Speer reloading manual that I borrowed from a mate about 1986/87. Thought it was interesting and faster than the 35 Whelen.
Just had to give it a go…and I am glad I did, very efficient cartridge, mild recoil and just gets stuff done. Doesn't ruin meat or blow things up, which is a good thing.

Cheers.

I've been hunting with various calibers for many years and had a pre 64 Model 70 featherweight re-bored to a 338-06 about 3 years ago and the rifle quickly became my favorite. I use it for whitetail, mule deer and hogs. What a great rifle it is. It pushes a 180 grain AccuBond over 2800 fps with 55 grains of Reloader 15. Recoil is about like a 30-06, accuracy is great and I have taken 3 really big bucks with the rifle.

Last edited: