338-06 vs 8mm-06 vs 35 Wheelen vs 375 Wheelen vs 9.3x62 POWER!

Had a whelen but sold it and put together an ultralight 338-06. Happy with it, lighter recoiling, more bullet choices, easy neck up from 30-06 brass which I had a pile of.

Maybe just me, but who shoots offhand at big game at long range ?
Not me!
I can't even hold any rifle that is above 15lbs for any length of time offhand, except my double because it's centre of gravity is entirely different, because of shoulder issues. Rotator cuff repair and A/C joint removed due to arthritis on right shoulder and my left shoulder rotator cuff tear is inoperable and cannot be fixed.
At one point after surgery, I couldn't even hold a 2litre bottle of milk.

Cheers.

What happens if you have maybe a 100 yard shot opportunity with no rest? I guess you could sneak away from the animal until your in long range territory. 32 inch barrel rifle at 18 lbs is not a hunting rifle unless your built like the Hulk.

Iv been thinking about an ultralight 338-06 or 9.3x62 for a timber rifle - a bit shorter and handier and lighter than my WM.

Last edited:
Improved or not, strictly from a Hunting perspective. We know the .338-06 Improved is astounding, but which is the Absolute Best for drop & power. Stats & Specs only from experienced users. (Please no short neck improved cartridges, KISS)
I don't think any of the cartridges mentioned are going to really do much better as improved cartridges, so... I'd just go with the .35 Whelen and call it a day. I also like the 8mm and .338 on the 06 cases but in the end, I think the .35 cal wins out on this continent. The last two might be better off in Africa.

I don't think any of the cartridges mentioned are going to really do much better as improved cartridges, so... I'd just go with the .35 Whelen and call it a day. I also like the 8mm and .338 on the 06 cases but in the end, I think the .35 cal wins out on this continent. The last two might be better off in Africa.
35 Whelen is a fine round but I have been using the 358 Winchester the whole season and like it. I built a 358/300RUM but always go back the the 358 Winchester in a Savage 11 action, Hogue stock, Shilen varmint weight 26" barrel. I hunt from stands so walking up a mountain is not in my plan. 200g Sierra RN bullet is my favorite.

35 Whelen is a fine round but I have been using the 358 Winchester the whole season and like it. I built a 358/300RUM but always go back the the 358 Winchester in a Savage 11 action, Hogue stock, Shilen varmint weight 26" barrel. I hunt from stands so walking up a mountain is not in my plan. 200g Sierra RN bullet is my favorite.
I agree the .358 Win is an amazing hunting cartridge and very efficient. That could also be said, I think... for the 350 Rem Mag and one of my all-time favorites the 358 Norm Mag. Cheers

I agree the .358 Win is an amazing hunting cartridge and very efficient. That could also be said, I think... for the 350 Rem Mag and one of my all-time favorites the 358 Norm Mag. Cheers
No doubt about the two magnums but my brass from 308 stock for the 358WIN is CHEAP!

I hunt with a 30-06 and a 338-06 every year and have taken many animals with them. I use a 165 grain Partition or AccuBond in the 30-06 and the 180 grain AccuBond in the 338-06. Muzzle velocity with full power hunting loads is about the same with both calibers. I really like both cartridges but my experience shows that the 338-06 performs at a level higher and is stronger than the standard 30-06. Some things can't be measured on paper and in my opinion the larger 33 caliber bullet hits harder and is more effective. I call the 338-06 a super 30-06. I know there are those that will say the comparison should be with the 180 grain bullet in the 30-06 but the muzzle velocity of the 338-06 with a 180 grain bullet can be as much as 200 fps faster. The 30-06 could have some advantage when shooting animals out past 300 yards but in practical experience that advantage is slim because I am hesitant to take longer shots.

Last edited:
No one can find a casing to evaluate, and those that have 3 of them are cherishing them....lol
33 nosler brass is readily available. One of the few cartridges you can find brass for consistently. Its been on sale at SPS for over a year. I bought 100 pcs with plans of having a 33 built.

I plan on building a 33 because of mass component availability for this particular cartridge.

33 nosler brass is readily available. One of the few cartridges you can find brass for consistently. Its been on sale at SPS for over a year. I bought 100 pcs with plans of having a 33 built.

I plan on building a 33 because of mass component availability for this particular cartridge.
Better lay in a couple of hundred more, not enough demand to make them even be worth making...no use letting your tongue out in the future..