338.06 VS 30.06 Ackley

Scott, I found the problem. I had to enter the 285 data into the system since it is not a listed bullet on JBM. Problem was another bullet was listed in the bullet entry from running other data and jbm saw the other bullet and not my entry data. It was still on my jbm when I went back to check so I recognized it immediately. Like I said I have been doing this a long time with ballistics and it made no sense to me when it gave me the data it did. I knew the light bullets would overwhelm in drop but the high bc would do well in the wind and it was giving me something way off I wasn't expecting. I went back and edited the correct info. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew it didn't look right but that is what it said and doing this in a hurry I just typed it down.

Last edited:
LRLT,
I would like to thank all who have contributed to this thread!! It has given me alot of info to digest!! Wonder why anyone has not said anything about Mcgowan barrels??? Especially those who live in that neck of the woods.
Seems that the 338.06 AI is what I want!!!FInished 26" stainless and will have it bead blasted.
Just got a message from an old ranger buddy that he is moving to Co. after retirement from the Marshalls Service and will have another place to visit and possibly hunt!!!
Merry Christmas to all (oh oh not PC)
Abnmike

LRLT,
I would like to thank all who have contributed to this thread!! It has given me alot of info to digest!! Wonder why anyone has not said anything about Mcgowan barrels??? Especially those who live in that neck of the woods.
Seems that the 338.06 AI is what I want!!!FInished 26" stainless and will have it bead blasted.
Just got a message from an old ranger buddy that he is moving to Co. after retirement from the Marshalls Service and will have another place to visit and possibly hunt!!!
Merry Christmas to all (oh oh not PC)
Abnmike

I think I'd call Pacnor, and make arrangements with them to barrel the action in .338-04AI. Tell them what your going todo with the rifle, and they'll do the rest. They're fairly quick, do good work, and it's hard to beat the price when it's all said and done
gary

Just realized the chart from post #24 isn't showing so I am re-posting in a format that should keep it here indefinitely.

These were estimates for a 338-06AI. I should have done them for an 800 yard shot as this is closer to what this cartridges is good out to on big game but it still serves the purpose of a basic comparison of bullet weights and performance. I believe I used the best BC hunting bullet for each weight to determine these estimates.

Scot E.

Attachments

• 33806ai.jpg
    33806ai.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 113
Why 1000 yard data for a 600 yard rifle. That was my point. No need to shoot a long range bullet in a short range rifle. Since this post we have realized the fact barnes is way low on the bc for the 185 ttsx and several other bullets so it is much higher than the .432 and my data in my 338 winchester is actually showing nearly a .5 in drop tests.

My point is why take a light rifle and make it kick like a mule to shoot over 1000 yards with a heavy bullet when the application is for probably 600 yards and less. This point was proven very effectively last year in a test where I folded down my bipod and peppered a rock quickly at 600 yards with a light, fast bullet while others were trying to figure there dope with test shots and turning clicks with a slow moving heavy high bc bullet and lots of drop. Light and fast just fold down your bipod and kill it before Murphy's law takes effect and he gest away. In hunting there are many factors to consider other than just ballistics charts for targets. I see what you are saying but I am looking at the hunting effectiveness of what will kill me the most animals within the effective range of the cartridge and many times that is not what does best at long range on the ballistic charts. That only comes with a lot of years in hunting situations taking a bunch of game.

I see your point but just trying to explain my point also. Both are relavent.

Why 1000 yard data for a 600 yard rifle. That was my point. No need to shoot a long range bullet in a short range rifle. Since this post we have realized the fact barnes is way low on the bc for the 185 ttsx and several other bullets so it is much higher than the .432 and my data in my 338 winchester is actually showing nearly a .5 in drop tests.

My point is why take a light rifle and make it kick like a mule to shoot over 1000 yards with a heavy bullet when the application is for probably 600 yards and less. This point was proven very effectively last year in a test where I folded down my bipod and peppered a rock quickly at 600 yards with a light, fast bullet while others were trying to figure there dope with test shots and turning clicks with a slow moving heavy high bc bullet and lots of drop. Light and fast just fold down your bipod and kill it before Murphy's law takes effect and he gest away. In hunting there are many factors to consider other than just ballistics charts for targets. I see what you are saying but I am looking at the hunting effectiveness of what will kill me the most animals within the effective range of the cartridge and many times that is not what does best at long range on the ballistic charts. That only comes with a lot of years in hunting situations taking a bunch of game.

I see your point but just trying to explain my point also. Both are relavent.

I understand exactly what you are saying and agree. That chart is actually the first one I built, with your help regarding the estimates of what the velocities would be, when this thread first started. My intent with that chart was to try and figure out where I wanted to be bullet weight wise. I worked it up for 1000 yards just to get an idea of what I was looking at. I tried to post it back in 2010 and had issues. Today I referred a guy to this thread as I thought it would help him make up his mind. I realized the chart was still missing and just added it so it would give him some numbers to compare. If i had the time I would have redone the numbers for 600 or 800 yards.

I think the Swift 210 would still be where I start and I think it would make a solid load out to 800 yards or so. I haven't tried any all copper bullets so I need to get on the bandwagon and give your TTSX's and the CE's you are touting so highly a try! I am very impressed with the results you are getting with those.

Thanks for the input.

Scot E.

I agree the 210 scirocos are a very good choice. The 225 cutting edge at .64 bc I have been testing are now another choice to be thrown in since this thread started. A guy just has to look at all his options and decide what range he really is going to be hunting with the rifle. My style of hunting and choices just don't fit other guys needs sometimes so I just throw stuff out for others to look at as an option.

I agree the 210 scirocos are a very good choice. The 225 cutting edge at .64 bc I have been testing are now another choice to be thrown in since this thread started. A guy just has to look at all his options and decide what range he really is going to be hunting with the rifle. My style of hunting and choices just don't fit other guys needs sometimes so I just throw stuff out for others to look at as an option.

LTLR, the more post I read of yours the more I learn and see our point of veiws are very similar. My type of hunting and qualifications for shooting long range do not need the uber mags and super heavy weight bullets. I have two 338WM's and now see the light with trying to do to much with heavy bullet weight to case capacity. Matter of fact my longest big game kill is only been 225yds at a moose. Even hunting out west for deer and Antelope it's always just ended up being 50 to 225yds. Well under my self imposed comfort zone of 600yd max. Maybe if I lived out west and hunted private land or scouted areas all the time it would justify a uber mag and acart to pull it in, for 1000yd shots.
You make very points and experiences are helpful. keep them coming.

Gene

Gentlemen,
I have read all these posts with great care and have learned a lot. It was refreshing to read these final posts where a moderate range was proposed.

The longest shot I have made in 45 years of hunting is 280 yards at a running coyote with very bad luck. Big game I usually restrict to well under 300 yards but, again, that is a self imposed limit.

I live in Northern Arizona where occasional long shots are presented. My Savage 110 in 338-06 A.I. gets most use with 250 grain bullets, the CZ 550 in 30-06 with 180 grainers, the CZ 550 in 308 with 165 grains and finally, the Remington Model 7 with 140 grain bullets. Apparently I'm a believer in the "heavy for caliber" bullets.

If you ask, I'll share my reloads for any of these rifles.

Best to all, Len

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.