338-06 ream to 338 sherman

co_nucleus

I have and load for 338-06 for a hunting rifle. I got a spare heavy contour 25-inch barrel that I was going to use but found it too front heavy for mountain hunting. Now working on a Nucleus LA build, staying with 338 (bit no plan to go 338 WM), I am interested in reaming the heavy 338-06 barrel to 338 Sherman and using that for a bench rifle to play at longer range.

To me - it looks like the 338-06 will clean up with 338 Sherman. This is a small shank Savage threaded barrel and will spin on my Nucleus with the Bar-Loc. Does this sound like it would work?

Am I missing anything on the neck/shoulder area? I can set the barrel back a few threads, no markings on it so timing is not an issue.

Shane

Based on what I've seen and used for the Ackley version, you are good to go! Just set it back a few threads and ream away! The Sherman, as you know, has even less taper than the Ackley and a longer head to shoulder length and shorter neck. Looks a lot like a 35 Brown-Whelen Improved, so to speak. Have a ball Pard!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.