338-06 ai

Forgot about this thread, but finally got my rifle back last October. 15 months of getting jerked around by the stockmaker in Sask, I had enough and got the police involved. Long story short, never did get the stock made so it's still sitting in the "synthetic" factory one. Just glad I got it back!!

Anyway, the more I shoot it, the more I'm impressed. Worked up a load with the 185gr TSX/Varget at 3060fps (went up to 3100, but lost accuracy) and have the 225gr Accubonds hovering around 2800-2820 with H414 and Win 760. Picked up some 200gr SST's but haven't tried them yet. Nosler brass and Fed215M primers.

For a cheap build (McGowan prefit barrel), it's pretty accurate so far. Avg group at 200 is right around an inch with a 4-12 Vortex Viper. I'm sure it will do better with higher quality glass and a more accomplished shooter, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Forgot about this thread, but finally got my rifle back last October. 15 months of getting jerked around by the stockmaker in Sask, I had enough and got the police involved. Long story short, never did get the stock made so it's still sitting in the "synthetic" factory one. Just glad I got it back!!

Anyway, the more I shoot it, the more I'm impressed. Worked up a load with the 185gr TSX/Varget at 3060fps (went up to 3100, but lost accuracy) and have the 225gr Accubonds hovering around 2800-2820 with H414 and Win 760. Picked up some 200gr SST's but haven't tried them yet. Nosler brass and Fed215M primers.

For a cheap build (McGowan prefit barrel), it's pretty accurate so far. Avg group at 200 is right around an inch with a 4-12 Vortex Viper. I'm sure it will do better with higher quality glass and a more accomplished shooter, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I am pleased to learn that you have had such excellent results from your rifle. Congratulations!

My 338-06AI is currently being built. If the results I get with my finished rifle are anywhere near what you are getting, I will be very happy. Thank you for the update!

Been shooting a 338-06AI off and on since 2002. My 700 is about 8.5 lbs and is quite satisfying to shoot and hunt with. Dang accurate too. The only load I've developed and killed with (5 mulies, 1 whitetail, 1 antelope) is 59.2gr RL-15 pushing a 180gr Nosler BT. Longest shot, was and easy 425. But then and in all but one other case, results were immediate and obscenely spectacular. This load was ***** hard on capes! The last animal to fall (2011 whitetail) to my 338-06AI was using new production 180 NBT's. Buck ran about 75yds dead-on-his feet with only a small exit wound. Huh...

These days a different rifle-different caliber has my fancy now, but whenever I dust-off and re-develop for this chambering I'll go heavy and aim at heavy-er game.

Truely it is a sweetheart of a round tho.

I shoot a WBY UL in 338-06 A Square with 24" barrel

This best powder I have used is Reloader 17

I get 2700 FPS with 225 gr Nosler Part using

RL 17 @ 61.0
225 gr Nosler Part
WLRM Mag Primer
WW brass

I've shot a 338-06 AI for over 20 years. Shoots as good fire forming as formed brass. Remington 700, left hand. Barrel is half round/ have octagon, with solid rib and front sight built in one piece with the barrel. Great round!!

Hey there, I also love my 338-06 (standard) I've killed so many elk, deer antelope etc, I can't even count. I started with the 225 Acubond (they go about 2740 fps) but they struggled with keyhole after 1300 to 1400 yards. I soon found 265 ABLR (AcuBond Long Range) to be my absolute favorite (at 2540 using 58.5 gr. Winchester 760) I know I'm pushed these a little hard and have absolute max OAL. But I have had good success out to 2450 yards (only limited by my scope). I can't speak highly enough of this setup. Definitely a capable and hard hitting round at some impressive distances.
Maybe someday I'll switch over to a Ackley Improved barrel for a little bit of an improvement.
I am using a 24" barrel and a suppressor which adds 50 to 75 fps in my experience.

Call it what you like, but I would definitely call this a capable long range setup.

*Don't use my load data, do your own research, every rifle is a little different.
Of course, that all assumes my finished rifle likes those bullet weights...

In the end, I suppose that the 338-06 doesn't qualify as a true long range cartridge. It's still an interesting cartridge, though. I am always curious to see what anyone who has one has to say about it.

In the end, I suppose that the 338-06 doesn't qualify as a true long range cartridge. It's still an interesting cartridge, though. I am always curious to see what anyone who has one has to say about it.

Hey there, I also love my 338-06 (standard) I've killed so many elk, deer antelope etc, I can't even count. I started with the 225 Acubond (they go about 2740 fps) but they struggled with keyhole after 1300 to 1400 yards. I soon found 265 ABLR (AcuBond Long Range) to be my absolute favorite (at 2540 using 58.5 gr. Winchester 760) I know I'm pushed these a little hard and have absolute max OAL. But I have had good success out to 2450 yards (only limited by my scope). I can't speak highly enough of this setup. Definitely a capable and hard hitting round at some impressive distances.
Maybe someday I'll switch over to a Ackley Improved barrel for a little bit more fun.
I am using a 24" barrel and a suppressor which adds 50 to 75 fps in my experience.

Call it what you like, but I would definitely call this a capable long range setup.

*Don't use my load data, do your own research, every rifle is a little different.
Also I would shoot at animals with an impact velocity of less than 1300 fps (according to nosler and my own experience/testing)
Of course, that all assumes my finished rifle likes those bullet weights...

Someone dug up an old thread last week on a 280 Remington and I really enjoyed reading it. This one on the 338-06 AI is from 2012 and the guys will quickly tell you how old it is but it still makes good reading. If anyone is interested in just how good a 338-06 works as a big game rifle just ask me. I have two of them built on the Winchester pre 64 Model 70 and they are a great rifle.