338-06 AI Brass

sundance1972

Looking for recommendations for new brass for a 338-06 Ackley. I've been using Nosler 30-06 for the last year or so, but am only getting two reloads (after fireforming with a mid level load) before the primer pockets open up. Loads are nowhere near max, even for the standard 338-06, and at $80 for 50 pcs I'm really not too impressed.

What do you guys think about Lapua brass? I've never used it myself, but have heard it's one of the best available. Hate to sound pessimistic, but heard the same thing about Nosler, and $240 later......

Looking for recommendations for new brass for a 338-06 Ackley. I've been using Nosler 30-06 for the last year or so, but am only getting two reloads (after fireforming with a mid level load) before the primer pockets open up. Loads are nowhere near max, even for the standard 338-06, and at $80 for 50 pcs I'm really not too impressed.

What do you guys think about Lapua brass? I've never used it myself, but have heard it's one of the best available. Hate to sound pessimistic, but heard the same thing about Nosler, and $240 later......

If your chamber is the correct size to use it, I'd get Norma 338-06 A-Square brass instead of 30-06.

Norma, Nosler and other brass are softer metal alloys than used in more "durable"brass. I would use some Lake City Arsenal brass myself and the problem would most likely be solved unless its a tight barrel or chamber problem.

Norma, Nosler and other brass are softer metal alloys than used in more "durable"brass. I would use some Lake City Arsenal brass myself and the problem would most likely be solved unless its a tight barrel or chamber problem.

My thoughts also. HXP brass is just as good.

Lapua is the best in the business.... They make .30-06 brass.

That's the route I'd go.

Couldn't find any suppliers for the Lake City, so I will give the Lapua a try if I can find some in stock up here. I really don't mind paying a few extra $$ for good quality components, hopefully it's worth it this time.

I haven't tried any 250's in this rifle yet, but what do you guys think about the Berger Elite Hunter? I know this is not a long range rifle (I'm not exactly a long range hunter/shooter yet either, but I'm learning a lot from this site), but I think I should be able to load them to 2600 or so? Maybe a little more with the 26" barrel?

I also have a 338-06AI and experienced the same thing with the Norma 338-06 brass. I was ****ed to say the least. At a cost of about $50 for 25 rounds, this was completely unacceptable to me. If you find that the Lapua works, please post here as I will most definitely buy some.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts