333 OKH Belted?

mitebeck

I used to shoot a 375 H&H magnum, but life caused its loss, but I didn't mind its recoil. In shooting a 8mm Rem Mag and 338 win mag I could not enjoy them for the sharpness of their recoil. I'm wondering that the 375's recoil (more push than slam) is because of the length and shape of the cartridge (with the extreme taper) and its powder column, and if a cartridge like 333 OKH belted in 338 or Pacific Tool and Guage lists a 338-300 H&H magnum (or is this the same as 333 OKH Belted in 338?) will recoil like the 375? And also does anyone know of a Gunsmith with the 333 OKH Belted in 338 reamer?

I don't have any technical info to answer your questions but I created a .338 on the .300 H&H case by opening the neck with a mandrel. I didn't change the location of the body/shoulder junction. Shooting 200 gr and 225 gr bullets provides a wallop very similar to the .375 H&H with 250's. I think that's mostly due to the heavier powder charges allowable for the lighter .338 bullets. See attached chamber drawing from Manson reamers... maybe could have saved some $$ if I'd known PTG already had an example. I'll have to look it up.
330HNH001.jpg

in Ken Howell's Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges there is only the drawing for the OKH made from the 35 Whelen case. PTG doesn't show a drawing for their 338-300...

I should mention that if you are interested, I would sell my reamers. I have no further use for them and I'd be pleased to know they got more than one usage. I had a solid pilot reamer made for Redding to do a reloading die set and a removeable pilot finish reamer made for the chambering. They were used on a Browning B78 single shot. The set cost me $382 and I'd sell for $200. I don't remember how much the dies cost to mfg but it was reasonable.
Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts