3300fps to fast for Barnes TTSX

I have put quite a few tsx or trsx into animals at high speeds. My 300wsm will drive a 130 3640fps, and the 26 will drive a 120ttsx just ender 3600. I have shot deer with both at under 20 yards, both are pretty devastating when the shots through both lungs.
That recovered looks pretty normal too me, at high speeds the petals sheer off making a bigger or seperate small wound channels and the shank usually makes it to the far side and exits.

I'm definitely not attacking you, so please don't take it that way, but this has more to do with shot placement than bullet performance. Your bullet missed lungs, heart and even liver. Without hitting a major organ or centering the shoulder joint, it's hard to count on a bullet to bail you out. Congratulations though, that's a great dr
I'm definitely not attacking you, so please don't take it that way, but this has more to do with shot placement than bullet performance. Your bullet missed lungs, heart and even liver. Without hitting a major organ or centering the shoulder joint, it's hard to count on a bullet to bail you out. Congratulations though, that's a great deer.
wrong.
Well you'd be wrong. It penciled through the liver and one lung. How the heck would you think it could it not hit any vitals on a quartering away shot when it enters the flank and comes to rest in the shoulder??? The bullet had to fall apart within the first couple inches of hitting the deer.

Last edited:
Wrong again. The petals had to shear off on entrance. It literally enters the flank and stopped on the off side shoulder. It penciled through the liver and one lung.

And if you were shooting any other bullet it would've stopped in the shank.

The Barnes traveled nearly the entire length of the deer even though it was a **** poor shot into the deers arse...you can't blame the bullet for terrible shot placement.

I've shot this same bullet out of a 25-06 at 3350fps and have had great luck with them on black tail deer. All one shot kills. I've always shot Barnes at really fast velocity so I'm surprised they said they were to fast.

The Barnes traveled nearly the entire length of the deer even though it was a **** poor shot into the deers arse...you can't blame the bullet for terrible shot placement.
Wrong. I've shot deer quartering away in nearly the same place with Berger's and Noslers and the they dropped in their tracks. I never really blamed the bullet for anything other than it falling apart. You weren't there and are making assumptions on something you have no factual data on.

I never shot the deer in the arse. It was quartering away and entered in the flank area. Which would be int front of back leg and behind the rib cage

Well you'd be wrong. It penciled through the liver and one lung. How the heck would you think it could it not hit any vitals on a quartering away shot when it enters the flank and comes to rest in the shoulder??? The bullet had to fall apart within the first couple inches of hitting the deer.
You hit liver and popped a lung, and 16 hours later you had to shoot it again?

You sir just killed the John Wick of whitetail deer. Some critters are just more determined to live than others. You might wanna think about grinding that one from head to toe, he may feel like you're chewing on a tractor tire.

+1
I was just typing something similar. If you put that bullet with sheared off petals through the lungs, that deer doesn't go far.
Ever seen a animal shot with a bullet that doesn't open up? I've seen coyotes hit straight through the ribs with match bullets, flip over get back up and take off to never be seen again. Weird things happen. Yeah the shot wasn't ideal but neither was the bullet falling apart. I know if I woulda been shooting Berger's near those speeds that deer wouldn't of went 20 yards. Not trying to argue with you or anyone else. The deer is dead and in my freezer. I'm just not impressed that the bullet didn't hold up.

You hit liver and popped a lung, and 16 hours later you had to shoot it again?

You sir just killed the John Wick of whitetail deer. Some critters are just more determined to live than others. You might wanna think about grinding that one from head to toe, he may feel like you're chewing on a tractor tire.
Ever shoot a deer with archery equipment? My buddy had the same thing happen on a buck. He was sure he made a good shot. He drove a broadhead straight through one lung and the liver. We found it the next day and he had to put another arrow in it. That was with a 4 blade 1.25 inch broadhead. Deer are much tougher than you're giving them credit.

Ever seen a animal shot with a bullet that doesn't open up? I've seen coyotes hit straight through the ribs with match bullets, flip over get back up and take off to never be seen again. Weird things happen. Yeah the shot wasn't ideal but neither was the bullet falling apart. I know if I woulda been shooting Berger's near those speeds that deer wouldn't of went 20 yards. Not trying to argue with you or anyone else. The deer is dead and in my freezer. I'm just not impressed that the bullet didn't hold up.

Have you ever shot a deer with a Berger? They literally fall apart!

Did you want the Barnes to hold together or to blow apart? Because it did as it's designed to do. You got plenty of penetration and an excellent wound channel with the petals coming off, it actually acted exactly like a Hammer in that regard. The issue was, the petals didn't have any vitals to penetrate and the shank didn't really seem to hit much either except maybe one lung and some liver? Plus, that's just an abnormally tough deer it seems.

Ever shoot a deer with archery equipment? My buddy has the same thing happen on a buck. He was sure he made a good shot. He drove a broadhead straight through one lung and the liver. We found it the next day and he had to put another arrow in it. That was with a 4 blade 1.25 inch broadhead. Deer are much tougher than you're giving them credit.
I've killed probably a thousand whitetail deer in my life, and you think I'm being antagonistic, but I'm not. I believe what you are saying. I'm serious when I say that some animals just have a whole lot more determination than others. I've shot hundreds of deer that folded like a lawn chair the second I touched the trigger, but I've also seen dozens hit just as well, and completely dead on their feet with their hearts absolutely liquefied, run hundreds of yards. My buddy Bill, (338 Dude) shot a coyote a week or so ago, and passed a 140gr berger from brisket to butthole, cut off about 4" of tail and a blood trail that looked like you hit the carotid artery of an elephant for probably 400y, and we never did recover it. Some animals just aren't easy to kill..

Again the deer is dead. I was more concerned that the bullet fell apart that easy. We can argue shot placement all you want. I guess I was expecting more outta these bullets. If I want bullets coming apart I'll use Berger's and Lea e a huge wound channel.

Have you ever shot a deer with a Berger? They literally fall apart!

Did you want the Barnes to hold together or to blow apart? Because it did as it's designed to do. You got plenty of penetration and an excellent wound channel with the petals coming off, it actually acted exactly like a Hammer in that regard. The issue was, the petals didn't have any vitals to penetrate and the shank didn't really seem to hit much either except maybe one lung and some liver? Plus, that's just an abnormally tough deer it seems.
Yes I have shots lots of deer with Berger's and if I coulda found some 25 cal 115's I woulda been using them. I just put this rifle together right before our season started. The wound channel would have been massive and the deer woulda been dead most likely within seconds. As far as the Barnes yes I was expecting it to stay together from all of their advertising they do and showing pictures of a perfectly shaped bullet.