3300fps to fast for Barnes TTSX

lee31

I recently bought some 100 grain Barnes TTSX for my 257 Roberts AI. I have heard how tough and indestructible these bullets are. Well I through a load together for the Wisconsin gun deer season. Load was 50 grains of RL17 and a CCI200 and I was getting 3294fps with a ES of 7 over 5 shots and just under 1MOA. I thought this would be a great load where my shots would range between 50-300 yards. Well I got my opportunity on a good buck on the last Saturday evening of the season.
The buck quartering away at 170 yards away in a cut cornfield just about to go into the woods. I ended up shooting him in the flank and was expecting bullet would come out either in front of the off side shoulder or would end up coming to rest right in his shoulder. The buck hunched up and took off into the woods. I waited 1 hour and went to look for blood. I found a little blood which was very spotty at best. After about 75 yards of tracking I reached our line fence and head something take off. I backed out and called the neighbors.
They said they'd be doing a deer drive in the morning and I was more than welcome to come along. Fast forward to the next day 16 hours later to be exact I caught up to the buck on the drive and had to finish him off. While I was cutting up the deer Tuesday night I found my bullet it had come to rest right under his off side shoulder blade. All the pedals had sheared off or the tip busted one or the other. I was astonished that this would happen. And now know why the deer was still alive as it had just left a 1/4 inch wound channel through the deer.
So I decided to email Barnes and their reply was that I'm probably shooting these bullets to fast and that they dont test bullets past 3000fps. They also told me my impact velocity was probably around 2950fps. And pretty much told me tough luck. I've shot Nosler accubonds outt my 25-06 at faster muzzle velocity than the Barnes and have never had a experience like this. So I'm just giving a heads up to some of you that are running big magnums at higher velocities than I'm running. You might run into this problem. Hopefully not but I will be switching back to accubonds if I can find them or Berger 133's.

Attachments

• 67A58BAF-587C-4635-A740-1E911DDB2824.png
    67A58BAF-587C-4635-A740-1E911DDB2824.png
    596.8 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 7674AAE1-A2D1-4C20-B504-F6FAED04515B.jpeg
    7674AAE1-A2D1-4C20-B504-F6FAED04515B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,024
Nice buck congratulations. Appears to be typical all copper light bullet high velocity results. You just have to decide what you like and it sounds like what you were using worked great. We have all done it...run away from awesome looking for a fantasy. I tend to stay with awesome anymore and look less and less for fantasy.

I'm surprised. I would expect a Barnes to perform better than that. I thought magnum speeds are when they excelled. If you have a way to weigh the bullet I think that might tell whether petals sheared off or it was a failure to open. Glad you found your deer, but definitely not the way you wanted to get him I'm sure.

Your handload sounds great,and I'm a Barnes fan, you just tangled with a tough big buck , he was moving at the shot and had his mind made up where he was going. If the shot was rushed it's usually not put where we want it ,then in the follow up you bumped him, their tenacious . Good that you have decent neighbors and you recovered your buck .Hunt long enough these things happen,no pun intended ,Congratulations on your fine wis/buck !, Cheers 😆👏👍

I'm surprised. I would expect a Barnes to perform better than that. I thought magnum speeds are when they excelled. If you have a way to weigh the bullet I think that might tell whether petals sheared off or it was a failure to open. Glad you found your deer, but definitely not the way you wanted to get him I'm sure.
96.6 grains on my chargemaster. I'm assuming it's likely the petals sheared off.

I'm definitely not attacking you, so please don't take it that way, but this has more to do with shot placement than bullet performance. Your bullet missed lungs, heart and even liver. Without hitting a major organ or centering the shoulder joint, it's hard to count on a bullet to bail you out. Congratulations though, that's a great deer.

I'm definitely not attacking you, so please don't take it that way, but this has more to do with shot placement than bullet performance. Your bullet missed lungs, heart and even liver. Without hitting a major organ or centering the shoulder joint, it's hard to count on a bullet to bail you out. Congratulations though, that's a great deer.

+1
I was just typing something similar. If you put that bullet with sheared off petals through the lungs, that deer doesn't go far.

Recent Posts