33 SHERMAN MAGNUM

Data is slow coming in with my limited time, but I have gotten some initial max velocity data with RL26 and both 250 and 300 Bergers.
The 250 reached 3105 and the 300 right at 2800'. This is a 24" Bartlein 10 twist barrel. Early group testing was erratic and I found out why Sunday. I bypassed doing what I knew to do and mounted the scope with #6 screws and no bedding of the rail because I have little spare time. Bad Idea!
The screws turned out to be Chinese pot metal. Long story short, it sheared the scope mount right off the receiver.
285 eldm headed north and 30 oz Sightron headed south and caught me right between the eyes.
No, it wasnt a high pressure load. Velocity was 2660.

Data is slow coming in with my limited time, but I have gotten some initial max velocity data with RL26 and both 250 and 300 Bergers.
The 250 reached 3105 and the 300 right at 2800'. This is a 24" Bartlein 10 twist barrel. Early group testing was erratic and I found out why Sunday. I bypassed doing what I knew to do and mounted the scope with #6 screws and no bedding of the rail because I have little spare time. Bad Idea!
The screws turned out to be Chinese pot metal. Long story short, it sheared the scope mount right off the receiver.
285 eldm headed north and 30 oz Sightron headed south and caught me right between the eyes.
If ya got time, pin that bad boy too. #31 drill, through the rail into the reciever, just not all the way through, between the screw holes. Measure how deep, then cut some pieces of a 1/8" drill bit to match the depth, put a dab of lock tight on them and tap them into the holes. The hole is .120", and hardened tool steel drill bits, or pins, are .125", so make a nice pressed fit. That rail won't go anywhere!

Thanks for the info. I have the small screws on a Rem700. Would like to see the procedure in a little more detail. I'm thinking a Smith or a Machinist doing this. I have a $200 drill press.
Mine's been built. Just waiting on a trigger, an MBM brake, and bedding a AG alpine hunter. I went with a 28"bart 3B with a 9.3 tw.
Rich, I was wondering if you've got a good fire forming load to share?

I know those screws. Even #8s likely wouldn't help. Those things are made of mush.

I know this thread was started awhile ago..since thne have reamers, dies etc been made available? Seems like a good alternative to the 338 edge for those of us that want to keep using the 700 action without big changes to the mag box

I know this thread was started awhile ago..since thne have reamers, dies etc been made available? Seems like a good alternative to the 338 edge for those of us that want to keep using the 700 action without big changes to the mag box
Yes, everything in stock.
you just neck up the 30 SM brass

Thanks for the info. I have the small screws on a Rem700. Would like to see the procedure in a little more detail. I'm thinking a Smith or a Machinist doing this. I have a $200 drill press.
Mine's been built. Just waiting on a trigger, an MBM brake, and bedding a AG alpine hunter. I went with a 28"bart 3B with a 9.3 tw.
Rich, I was wondering if you've got a good fire forming load to share?
with a 250, maybe start at 76-77 RL26
Just drill it out and tap it. I think its 8x40?

Any new/more info on this. Doesn't seem like many are out there? Speed is nice and most of us like it but curious to what people are seeing for accuracy as well. Still a viable option for me in my 338 250 class quest.

Ordered dies and a reamer on Aug 30. Patiently waiting. Supply chain is the only thing holding me up. these are the last 2 things I need. I'll be testing 230 and 270 ELDx plus Sierra 300MKs And CE 225MTH. I ordered the .312 free bore reamer.

Ordered dies and a reamer on Aug 30. Patiently waiting. Supply chain is the only thing holding me up. these are the last 2 things I need. I'll be testing 230 and 270 ELDx plus Sierra 300MKs And CE 225MTH. I ordered the .312 free bore reamer.
Keep me/us posted. I was pretty set on a "338 prc" which my smith has his own reamer for and then switched to the 33 nos but have also been eyeballing this. I have all the rifle components sitting here. I also have a 338 lapua Imp in the works so am looking for something a little smaller to shoot the 250 bergers etc.

Did you order a (new) reamer or rental?
What name was it under please?

Any new or recent load data on the 33 Sherman Magnum? Looking at a build with the 33 SM .100 FB reamer option to shoot some of the lighter weight 338 cal bullets 🤙🏽

I wish I had so something to add…

I've got 225 CE MTH, 230 ELDx, and 270ELDx loaded for ladder testing. All with R26. It will be a Christmas miracle if life gives me a chance to test them before gifts get unwrapped.

this was my first true wildcat and Fireforming set me back a bit, but I've got that solved and have pretty high expectations.