33 Nosler - what am I missing?

Dont let that turn you off. I have built a lot of 30 Noslers and 30-28 noslers. In a 26" barrel a normal load is H1000 and a 215 Berger at 3080-3100 fps. I have hit 3200 with retumbo in the 30-28 nosler. Its just better than a wm in every way.

I have a lot of respect for Jeff but I have had two different 300WMs and two different 30 Noslers. The Noslers out pace the WMs by 100-150 fps. This is SAAMI 30 Noslers vs Custom throated 300WMs.

Dont let that turn you off. I have built a lot of 30 Noslers and 30-28 noslers. In a 26" barrel a normal load is H1000 and a 215 Berger at 3080-3100 fps. I have hit 3200 with retumbo in the 30-28 nosler. Its just better than a wm in every way.

Completely agree here. My full custom 30 Nos also outpaces my full custom 300wm by about 150 FPS. Both have the same length barrels.

Broz did a head to head with the 300wm and the 30 noz. It was 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Very little difference in performance. ...

Yup, all this talk about 33 NOZ & not one mention of the .338 - .300 Win Mag. Us poor boys just don't get to keep up. Please tell me why the 300 Win Mag Case won't work?

Has anyone had more time to play with and have experience with the 33 Nosler? I am planning a long range gun for here in Alaska and am looking at this chambering in a Montana rifle Co X3.

What's your idea of "Long Range"?

I started shooting the .375 Ruger about six years ago and have found it to be devastating out to about 650. I haven't shot it any further.

I'm currently planning to take one of my older M70's and put a 28" barrel on it chambered in .375R specifically to see just how much fun I can have with it beyond and see what the practical limit is for the caliber.

It is a ridiculously fun and effective cartridge that might well be worth a look. Montana Rifles makes it in a 26" X2. I bought one last year but it only stayed around as long as it took for my brother to see it. Since I'd also just picked up a custom in the same length he decided I dint' need it anymore.

30-300 win is good--and heck it does work--just about like the 33 Nosler...but I gave up on wildcats long ago. I like to be able to order brass, dies, and maybe even walk out with a box of ammo if needed...

I built a 33 Nosler at the end of last year. I'm left handed and built mine on a Montana 1999 long action. I put a magnum mag box and a 26 in proof barrel. When I did order a reamer Dave Manson did a tapered throat on it for the Berger bullet (250 elite hunter). I have tried 3 bullets in it:

1. Barnes LRX 265grain-- seated out as far as 3.55 I could not get sufficient speed for me to be happy. They were all lumbering around 2600 fps.

2. Cutting Edge 225 grain. Seated to 3.53. I got 2994fps adv. and very accurate. This is a great bullet for the 33 Nosler. (Not a hot load could get more velocity in my rifle)

3. Berger elite hunter 250 grain. Seated to 3.54 adv speed of 2720fps. With very good acccurcy...(not a hot node either, but shoot really well so I left it alone)

I do want to say, I'm happy with it, but if you want to shoot heavy 338s...I'd stick with a 338 ultra, Edge, Norma, or Lapua. 250s are on the heavy side 225 are probably optimal and really 280-300s are a no go due to MV around the 2400-2500fps mark for my rifle.

What's the definition of "work".
I see lots of Brass types mentioned -Old Thread- and I've never seen one on a shelf in an ordinary store. 300 Win Mag is very Common. I'm guessing someone 338 Wildcatted the 300 WM over 50 Years ago. It just seems like a Better alternative Small Medium Bore verses 33 Nosler.

Last edited:
I see lots of Brass types mentioned -Old Thread- and I've never seen any single one type of Cartridges here on a shelf in a regular store. 300 Win Mag is every place I go... The oldest reference I have found on the Net is 2002. You can bet someone did it within the 1st Year the 300 WM was introduced over 50 Years ago. If I was considering an Internet Purchase only, I'd agree with a look at the 68S Brass.

{Dreaming of 338 Jarrett-300 WM}
The .300 and .338 Tejas might be right up your alley.

30(338)-300 win is good--and heck it does work--just about like the 33 Nosler...but I gave up on wildcats long ago. I like to be able to order brass, dies, and maybe even walk out with a box of ammo if needed...

I had stumbled across loads for the ".338 Tora-Bora" the Loads and results he posted fair'd somewhat better than results for the 33 Noz, Of course I can't seem to find them, plus half his posts were in French somewhere. One on here "Sheepdog" called his the .338 Patriot. Very Simple, inexpensive and pushes 250's with ease. .. it's too easy. Technically it is a "Wildcat" if a very elementary one. Space .338 Win Mag Dies accordingly. "2644ever - 77.5 grains of N560 and Lapua's 250 Moly Scenar, 2880 fps"

Last edited:
"works" is equivalent to a favorite flavor of koolaid. Grape works. Cherry flat out "works". In this context, and with no further explanation, "work" explains nothing more than personal preference. 30-30 works for thousands.
Great that they "work" for the folk they work for though!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.