33 Nosler - what am I missing?

Some say that the Ruger case would feed better than a case with a rebated rim like the Nosler. However, that whole argument may be academic, I'm not sure there is a lot of empirical data out their that proves that a rebated rim has more feeding problems than a rimless. But, in a hunting rifle that may encounter bears or other dangerous game, feeding should be considered.
How is the feeding problem with the rebated rim described? What's the explanation consist of? Gibberish, or something that makes sense - mechanically speaking?

The shoulder doesn't know where the rim is. How could the rim influence the feeding? Seems like a belt or protruding rim would be more of a problem; which they aren't.

I think it comes from the possibility of the bolt head riding over the top edge of the rim, especially with a larger bodied case. With a larger body the case can sit lower in the feed lips and if the rim doesn't protrude as high as the rest of the body the bolt head could miss the rim and strike the case head instead of the rim. Jon R. Sundra talked about it with a .284 in one of his articles. Also, Chuck Hawks mentions it in some of his articles. Personally, the only case I've ever had feeding issues with was a 7mm SAUM.

Like I said, I'm not sure if their is a ton of actual evidence, but it seems to be a concern. If one is hunting something that might bite back it seems prudent to consider all the factors that might lead to reliability issues.

I think it comes from the possibility of the bolt head riding over the top edge of the rim, especially with a larger bodied case. With a larger body the case can sit lower in the feed lips and if the rim doesn't protrude as high as the rest of the body the bolt head could miss the rim and strike the case head instead of the rim. Jon R. Sundra talked about it with a .284 in one of his articles. Also, Chuck Hawks mentions it in some of his articles. Personally, the only case I've ever had feeding issues with was a 7mm SAUM.

Like I said, I'm not sure if their is a ton of actual evidence, but it seems to be a concern. If one is hunting something that might bite back it seems prudent to consider all the factors that might lead to reliability issues.
It's simply more difficult for the bolt to pick up the rebated rim hence the need for the feed rails to allow the shells to ride a little higher than with the non rebated rims.

Thanks. I understand now. Seems like something that can be inspected and eliminated as a concern with very little modification. Should any be required.

Reason I ask is I'm considering using 8x68S parent brass for my 30/375 S.I. And the 8x68S case rim is rebated 0.020" in total diameter, or 0.010" in radius. I don't expect 0.010" to cause any issues. But I can compensate with a slight mod to the Wyatt mag feed lips if necessary.

RWS manufactured 8x68S cases are available. They're designed for high pressure loads, and will endure high pressures and thus increased MVs without premature primer pocket expansion.

Hornady is the only manufacturer of 375 Ruger cases at this time. This opens up a better option. Both cases need fire formed prior to use. Might as well use the parent casing with the tougher case head construction. That's the idea.

Cool. What exactly is a 30/375 S.I? Can you share dimensions, shoulder angle, etc?

If one is hunting something that might bite back it seems prudent to consider all the factors that might lead to reliability issues.

The only jams I've seen were with control round feed. One was a .375 H&H. It would not feed round nose bullets. Had to switch to spritzers. The other was a Kimber .308. Since it was my son-in-law's I gave it back to him.

I will take a push feed for dangerous anytime.

Cool. What exactly is a 30/375 S.I? Can you share dimensions, shoulder angle, etc?

It's the 375 Ruger case necked down to .308, with 40* shoulder angle, and the shoulder blow out to maximum improved diameter. About the largest case capacity to be had with the 375 Ruger case shooting a 30 caliber bullet.

Here's a link to a thread describing the cartridge. Rich Sherman designed it. He goes by elkaholic on this Forum.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/375-ruger-to-30-375-s-i.168389/

The 33 Nosler is capable of propelling a 225 gr AccuBond at 3025 fps and the brand new 265 gr AccuBond Long Range at 2775 fps. That's 275 fps faster than the 338 Win Mag using the same length action and 25 fps faster than the 338 Lapua at the muzzle while burning 18% less powder. this info is from nosler.com

I'd prefer the information come from a different source than the company marketing its product.

Did Nosler's information include information on the operating pressure of each of the three different cartridges, which resulted in their quoted velocities. If so, were the operating pressures equal? Did they use an an optimal powder for each of the three cartridges, or did their selection of MV data handicap one of the competing cartridges by compromising efficiency possible from the two competing cartridges? Did they include the information necessary for the consumer to independently determine the equity or inequity of their cartridge comparisons?

In other words, did they cherry pick for purposes of promoting their own cartridge, in the effort to increase profits?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.