33 nosler or 338 rum

I have a 338 rum with a 26" lilja barrel. I was getting 2779 fps pushing a 285 eldm using ramshot LRT before switching to the 300 bergers. Now sitting at 2729 fps.

Would love to hear more about these 33 Nosler builds. Peterson Cartridge has recently announced they are making this brass, which has me interested in a build . . . much like Closetohome's.
Got 33 Nosler brass from Peterson just yesterday. It looks great like all Peterson brass does. I think Grafs still has it in stock.

Attachments

• 7661E6F0-711F-4C8D-BB87-024F8A6BD0B1.jpeg
    7661E6F0-711F-4C8D-BB87-024F8A6BD0B1.jpeg
    996.6 KB · Views: 91
Aw bud, just do something out of the box and go 338 AX (Allen Express). Actually a nice cartridge by Kirby Allen / APS Rifles. Well, you'd need a larger bolt face...

Bullet Weight Velocity (28-30" barrel length)
225 grain 3400 fps
250 grain 3300 fps
265 grain 3200 fps
300 grain 3000 fps

I think doing one of Kirby Allen's cartridges would be so fun. Just so over the top and awesome…someday lol

338 RUM.

***Not to take this topic, off target but, 7STW "book" and actual, are two different things, as the 7STW was the king of the Big Seven's, until the 7RUM & 28NOS (factory) were introduced, not including the proprietary 7mm offerings. When I re-barreled my long time 7STW to 28NOS, the 28NOS exceeded it's performance, with 175-195 grain bullets, in a SAAMI chamber.***
what was the difference in powder?

I like them both but feel the coal and recoil make the RUM less acftractive for me.

I have a long throated 30 nosler running 230s at 2975 which is well below pressure and 2.5 grains below case capacity with H1k. Some speed to be picked up with hotter powders but I love the big H.

With the 33 being the smallest of the big noslers, I'd seriously consider building a properly throated 33-28 nosler in a 26 inch barrel.

I know you didn't ask about it but thought it's worthy of discussion.

Last edited:
Aw bud, just do something out of the box and go 338 AX (Allen Express). Actually a nice cartridge by Kirby Allen / APS Rifles. Well, you'd need a larger bolt face...

Bullet Weight Velocity (28-30" barrel length)
225 grain 3400 fps
250 grain 3300 fps
265 grain 3200 fps
300 grain 3000 fps
That's a good bit more than I am interested in for hunting with. Hoping to keep the total weight down in the 9 lb realm. The beauty of the 33 nosler, imho, is that it's simply a modernized 338 win mag. Perfect for a relatively high bc bullet of around 250-265 grains.

That's a good bit more than I am interested in for hunting with. Hoping to keep the total weight down in the 9 lb realm. The beauty of the 33 nosler, imho, is that it's simply a modernized 338 win mag. Perfect for a relatively high bc bullet of around 250-265 grains.
I think you'll like the 33 Nosler. Put a Terminator brake on it and it'll shoot fun even if light. Go for it. ;)

I like them both but feel the coal and recoil make the RUM less acftractive for me.

I have a long throated 30 nosler running 230s at 2975 which is well below pressure and 2.5 grains below case capacity with H1k. Some speed to be picked up with hotter powders but I love the big H.

With the 33 being the smallest of the big noslers, I'd seriously consider building a properly throated 33-28 nosler in a 26 inch barrel.

I know you didn't ask about it but thought it's worthy of discussion.
Why a 33-28 Nosler? I have had a few ppl say run a 30-28 Nosler but I am not sure what case dimension they are trying to avoid on the 28 Nosler case

The 28 nos case has a little more capacity then the 30 or 33. All you need to do is neck up the brass and it's ready to shoot.

Then you build a reamer with the proper freebore to run a vld out long and it will still easily fit in a Wyatts box. Short freebore is what holds the noslers back a little bit if running heavy vlds.

The 28 nos case has a little more capacity then the 30 or 33. All you need to do is neck up the brass and it's ready to shoot.

Then you build a reamer with the proper freebore to run a vld out long and it will still easily fit in a Wyatts box. Short freebore is what holds the noslers back a little bit if running heavy vlds.
The Nosler cases get shorter as the caliber increases to make room for the longer lengths of the larger bullets. 0.1-0.2" shorter case means a lot for bullet room but not a ton of lost velocity. True, the spec'd freebore could have been better. Still, if meaningfully more velocity is sought or ultra high BC and heavy bullets are wanted, there is the Norma, RUM, Weatherby, and Lapua, etc. I think the sweet spot of the Nosler 33 is for 225-265 gr bullets at simply good hunting velocities. As the case is, it's still reasonable in a rifle to be carried all day.

The 33 nosler case is a neat concept. Its not as long as the other nosler cartridges and probably my favorite for that reason. Its a compelling argument, the RUM or the Weatherby or the Edge is going to get you there performance wise with the large pills. I look at it like this: If you can figure out the COAL dilemma, of course you will get better performance out of the longer RUM, But for ease of use and reloading, I think the 33 Nosler will be plenty of cartridge and leave more room for the large bullets, that is what it was designed for. It's shorter so you can seat the longer bullets and still fit standard COAL magazines. If your going to go with the big boomer, I'd look at the 338 Norma also and Mike Johnson at Hells canyon armory has a 338 HCA which is in improved 338 Norma of sorts and he has dies and I believe is having quality brass made.

I think doing one of Kirby Allen's cartridges would be so fun. Just so over the top and awesome…someday lol
I just got one of his 7 Allen Mags last year. It's a major ego trip at the range for sure. She talks with a big voice and gets the attention she deserves. 😁 Anxious to try it on big game this fall. (150 BD-2's running 3,711 fps or 195 EOL's at 3,300) It's a light gun but recoil is next to nothing with the Painkiller. Terminator may even be better..?? Not the most practical choice for an all-around hunter though.

I second the 338RUM.
Of your choices and bullets in mind, this is what will give you the performance you require.
My big 338 is a custom 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°.
My goal was a minimum of 3000fps with any bullet weight available. This was 10 years ago almost now. Actually get 3200fps with everything if I push it and only with HBN coated bullets.
If going the RUM, you will need a longer mag box, a Wyatt's 4" box is what I recommend. You could get away with a 3.85" box, but you'll thank me later getting the 4". I did this with my Edge.

Hope your build comes out the way you hope.

Cheers.