33 nosler or 338 rum

338 RUM.

***Not to take this topic, off target but, 7STW "book" and actual, are two different things, as the 7STW was the king of the Big Seven's, until the 7RUM & 28NOS (factory) were introduced, not including the proprietary 7mm offerings. When I re-barreled my long time 7STW to 28NOS, the 28NOS exceeded it's performance, with 175-195 grain bullets, in a SAAMI chamber.***

Hi guys,
I've been thinking about building another rifle. It would be built on a r700 action. I would like to build something in a .338 caliber that would fit in a factory long action (<3.700 coal).

Currently I'm thinking about the 33 nosler (expensive brass!) or 338 rum (hard to find brass/more recoil than I need).
It would be used for elk no further than 800yds. I also shoot my rifles for fun/practice out to 1,000yds. I would like to shoot the 285eldm out of a 26-28" barrel at around 2,850fps.

What do you guys think?
Build a 338/06.

One thing I like about the 33 nosler is that SAAMI spec coal is 3.340". If I go 33 nosler, I would add .200" to the throat, so I would end up around 3.650" COAL. The 33 nosler also seems to be very efficient. I'm not looking for maximum velocity.
Do you think 33 nosler shooting a 285g eldm can be bearable in a 10lbs rifle without a brake? I can handle a 10lb 300win no problem without a brake, but that does seem close to max for me.
Then you need to shoot a 338 RUM - braked and then unbraked. If there is that much recoil, Newton figured there'd be sufficient knock down on the other end. (Newton's Third Law).
The 338 RUM is a Rumarkable caliber!! 😊

Hi guys,
I've been thinking about building another rifle. It would be built on a r700 action. I would like to build something in a .338 caliber that would fit in a factory long action (<3.700 coal).

Currently I'm thinking about the 33 nosler (expensive brass!) or 338 rum (hard to find brass/more recoil than I need).
It would be used for elk no further than 800yds. I also shoot my rifles for fun/practice out to 1,000yds. I would like to shoot the 285eldm out of a 26-28" barrel at around 2,850fps.

What do you guys think?
My vote goes for the 338 RUM, have a full custom. The recoil is very manageable with a break, I shoot it both ways... not really bad either way. Heck of a elk thumper, mine loves Barnes TTSX/TSX and Nosler Accubonds in the 250 grain... brass is way easier to find than 33 nosler... honestly can't go wrong either way! Good Luck and Good Shooting!

I would endorse your thinking on the 33 Nosler. It fits nicely into the crease of size, efficiency, and flexibilty. But, should you feel the need for more, then the 338 Norma
yields the most performance increase staying inside your other stated parameters. Don't forget about tightening the twist down to near 1:9 for your long bullets. One extra benefit from the Norma is the excellent brass they make. Good luck with your build. Share your outcomes.

338 Rum, also gets my vote. Brass is tough to find but not as difficult as some others. Mine is 10 lbs, but with 210's the thump is not unbearable. Hold with a good fitting stock is very important!! I've also found it accurate through a wide range of bullets and easy enough to find good loads without burning up precious powder and primers.

I built a 33 Nosler on a LH Stiller action with a 26" Proof Sendero in a Manners EH1 and just getting into load development with the gun. It was throated to set a 250gr Berger EH touching at 3.6" and I run a 3.585" oal. H4831SC is working well so far pushing them at 2900fps. Could squeeze more velocity out with RL26 but I have a bunch of H4831 sitting around so sticking with it. With scope the gun sits at just under 9lbs which is a good balance of carry weight vs stability for my liking.

if you want to push the 285/300gr bullets the RUM/Edge/Norma/Lapua flavors are better suited but at the expense of weight/recoil. For me, the compromise to live with 250 class bullets was acceptable for my uses and saved some weight/availability of action as jumping to the Norma/Lapua case head reduced my options as a lefty.
Nice! This is pretty much what I had in mind. Are you using a brake?

I have a bunch of RL26, but I wonder if that would drive a 285gr over 2,750fps? Probably not with a 26" barrel anyway.

I know the rum is the easy choice, but I just want something with a little less powder capacity and a little shorter case...

Using a titanium suppressor which knocks the recoil down enough.

I think 2750-2800 is achievable with a 285 ELDM and RL26 or N560, and with a long enough throat maybe H1000 but likely going to compress some.

I have a decent stash of N560 sitting around and may give it a go with the 250s just out of curiosity.

I have a 33 nos.. Lov it.. If you want to drive the heavier bullets you won't get the velocity you want with a 285 out of the 33 nos. If you are happy with a 250 bullet then the Nos will fit your bill. My gun is 7.25 lbs without scope.. with a nightforce it is 9lbs and change. I have packed it all over the country with no problems.. Your R-26 will work just fine.. Just don't hunt in really hot temps with it, it will definitely pressure up. I think from what you describe the 33 Nos will do the job for you. My 8 year old shoots mine all the time and he doesn't complain.. He does not like to shoot my 338 RUM . Too much kick.. Both have a brake on them but the RUM is a kicker.

Would love to hear more about these 33 Nosler builds. Peterson Cartridge has recently announced they are making this brass, which has me interested in a build . . . much like Closetohome's.

Recent Posts