33 nosler or 338 rum

One thing I like about the 33 nosler is that SAAMI spec coal is 3.340". If I go 33 nosler, I would add .200" to the throat, so I would end up around 3.650" COAL. The 33 nosler also seems to be very efficient. I'm not looking for maximum velocity.
Do you think 33 nosler shooting a 285g eldm can be bearable in a 10lbs rifle without a brake? I can handle a 10lb 300win no problem without a brake, but that does seem close to max for me.

I shoot a 338 Norma improved with 250's at 2980 in a 9 lb rifle and with a good brake it is fine. I also used to shoot a 10 lb 338 lapua improved with the 250 at 3200 FPS and it was manageable as well. A lot depends on how you handle recoil.

Not a 338, but...

I had a 300 RUM that was under 8 lbs with the Christensen barrel and Manners UL stock, no brake.

I was not shooting super heavies but the 210/215 Bergers weren't that bad for recoil when I shot them. It was just like a fight...you know you are going to get hit, just grin and bear it. If using it for targets and not just hunting, a brake will be your friend.

Now this was definitely not a plinking rifle though.

Hi guys,
I've been thinking about building another rifle. It would be built on a r700 action. I would like to build something in a .338 caliber that would fit in a factory long action (<3.700 coal).

Currently I'm thinking about the 33 nosler (expensive brass!) or 338 rum (hard to find brass/more recoil than I need).
It would be used for elk no further than 800yds. I also shoot my rifles for fun/practice out to 1,000yds. I would like to shoot the 285eldm out of a 26-28" barrel at around 2,850fps.

What do you guys think?
Nothing wrong with the 330 Dakota. It's been around a while.

340 weatherby does seem to be right between the 33 nosler and 338rum. The downside is the long 3.700" coal, which would leave me with no room to try to reach the lands. I've heard weatherbys have a really long throat. Also, I'm not a huge fan of belted cartridges.
Thanks for the idea though.
I'm shooting a 7mm Rem Mag which is also a Belted Magnum and I have no complaints.
BUT...Belted Magnums are 1960 technology and we have better option in cartridges now.
So I'd nit go with a Belted Cartridge.
Good Luck In You Choice.
I think 338rum is a great choice

Hi guys,
I've been thinking about building another rifle. It would be built on a r700 action. I would like to build something in a .338 caliber that would fit in a factory long action (<3.700 coal).

Currently I'm thinking about the 33 nosler (expensive brass!) or 338 rum (hard to find brass/more recoil than I need).
It would be used for elk no further than 800yds. I also shoot my rifles for fun/practice out to 1,000yds. I would like to shoot the 285eldm out of a 26-28" barrel at around 2,850fps.

What do you guys think?
The 330 Dakota is good choice ,,I have one , recoil is very doable. 3200 ft with Nosler bt. 200 grain. It will keeeeell

Look up reloading books from before the RUM was released...the STW magically became slower overnight...
Who cares what the book says, unless you're talking about spec chambers and ammo. Dallas builds lots of the guns and he knows what they do. The 28 can beat the STW by a little bit sometimes, and the RUM will beat them both if you want it to.

I'd go 338 RUM, but make sure it's built by someone who knows how to make a big RUM for the heavy bullets.

Who cares what the book says, unless you're talking about spec chambers and ammo. Dallas builds lots of the guns and he knows what they do. The 28 can beat the STW by a little bit sometimes, and the RUM will beat them both if you want it to.

I'd go 338 RUM, but make sure it's built by someone who knows how to make a big RUM for the heavy bullets.
Yet another vote for the 340 WEA. You can use the magazine for a 378 Wea for longer coal if building on a Mark V action, or an aftermarket mag for a 700.

Look up reloading books from before the RUM was released...the STW magically became slower overnight...
sorry its still slower I've had both built identical !! they did the same thing when the 28 nos was released .vs the 7RUM and the 30 nos vs 300 rum the rum's are still faster. and are stupid accurate at those speeds..
I'm not saying the 7STW is a slouch i really like them but the RUM is just faster ...

Last edited:
One thing I like about the 33 nosler is that SAAMI spec coal is 3.340". If I go 33 nosler, I would add .200" to the throat, so I would end up around 3.650" COAL. The 33 nosler also seems to be very efficient. I'm not looking for maximum velocity.
Do you think 33 nosler shooting a 285g eldm can be bearable in a 10lbs rifle without a brake? I can handle a 10lb 300win no problem without a brake, but that does seem close to max for me.
yes it won't be bad..

I was responding to the comment about the 28 Nosler being loaded faster than the STW...so I was simply saying how Remington "downloaded" the STW when the RUM came out to make the RUM look better.

I think RUM's are awesome, I've had them all...the 7mm is my current go to rifle.

I built a 33 Nosler on a LH Stiller action with a 26" Proof Sendero in a Manners EH1 and just getting into load development with the gun. It was throated to set a 250gr Berger EH touching at 3.6" and I run a 3.585" oal. H4831SC is working well so far pushing them at 2900fps. Could squeeze more velocity out with RL26 but I have a bunch of H4831 sitting around so sticking with it. With scope the gun sits at just under 9lbs which is a good balance of carry weight vs stability for my liking.

if you want to push the 285/300gr bullets the RUM/Edge/Norma/Lapua flavors are better suited but at the expense of weight/recoil. For me, the compromise to live with 250 class bullets was acceptable for my uses and saved some weight/availability of action as jumping to the Norma/Lapua case head reduced my options as a lefty.