325wsm vs 338win?

EastHunter

Hi guy.

I got a discution with my hunting budy last night and was wondering what you will think about.

Our shot tend to be around the 500yrds for max. Im for the 338win and my friend is on the 325wsm side. For those range y dont think their is a big difference but i can be wrong. Sins we are gone to start long range pratice next spring and might be chance of new rifle (got a 270win) whant to be sure.
Any sudgestion are welcome.

Our game are deer and moose. A new rifle wil be more for moose.

EastHunter

If it more for moose go with the 338, lot better choices on heavy bullets like 225-250 gr.

If it more for moose go with the 338, lot better choices on heavy bullets like 225-250 gr.

+1

The 325 and the 338 win are about the same ballistically but that's where it ends.

The 325 win is an 8mm (.323) and bullet selection has been the downfall of the
8mm rem mag ( a great Elk round). velocity is a little faster and flatter due to the
increase in pressure of the newer round. the main advantage in the 325 is
the short action required for it. With the same length or slightly shorter barrel the 325
is handier and easy to carry.

The 338 win mag has an almost unlimited bullet choice and is easy to load for. also
performs better with larger bullets like 225 or 250 gr and velocity is faster.

Both are good rounds and I would not hesitate to use ether.

J E CUSTOM

+1 on the .338. I have been been doing some research on the 8mm. The best you can do for a heavy bullet with decent BC is the 200grn (.520) SMK or the 220grn (.521) SGK. The .338 will offer higher BC's, but if your distance is only 500yrds then I would choose either. If you are going beyond 600yrds then the .338 is the ticket.

Tank

Y think the same as you J E Custom and Liltank. Easyer to have some factorie ammo if taken short. The only adventage of the 325wsm will be on the kick side. It got less kick (never try a 325wsm) have bin told. But have try one 338win at the range and find it was not that bad. The rifle was a browning stalker with boss, factorie federal 210gr partion ammo. Realy think y could shoot it with out the brake. Any way the rifle y would look for(darm payment....) will be a tika super varminer or the weatherby accumark so heavier rifle with less kick.

Just got a little probleme with the smk or other match bullet for hunting. Have never try those and not sure if game come close what it will do... Just dont whant to wound game. Im more into the accubond or the interbond bullet type.
My hunting budy got our moose with a 180gr balistic type from a 308 at 100yrds. I didnt like is set up but it work well.
The bullet didnt pas true liver and part of lung were done. It walk 125feet maby beafore falling down. So y made my apologise to him and start looking at these king of bullet from a other eye...

Last edited:
Either one will do the job to 500 yds. If you're looking strictly at performnce, the 388 WM wins and it makes a bigger hole. If you want something more handy with a little less kick, get the 325 WSM. The 338 WSM wouldn't be a bad choice for some benefite of both.

Mark

Ishoot both 325 wsm and basically potent 338, 340WM. THE 340 has more shock & ahh plus recoil and rifle wght. Like em both 540 yrd on bull w/325, 750 w/340. MY Browning A ss w/4x14x40, sling,loaded is 7-6oz.

Hi sp6x6.

Y have think of the 340wby for some time but the price of the rifle and ammo make my almost forget it. The accumark is 1999$ and ammo are 88$ for the cheapes one. This kind of caliber nead a break on it ( around 300$ more)...

What kind of grouping did you get with your rifle (The 340)? The best smith around told mi e will never have the reamer for it because it can not do better thant the 1 1/2 from the compagnie? It sais it is great killing machine but no a precision tool? Will be easier to have one 338ultra but dont like the xcr and dont whant to go for custom for the moment...

Hi Mark.

The 338 wsm is a wild cat? Dont know alot about realoding and y whant to start with regulard calliber for my beagining in it. But maby some day...

Sins y already got my "walking" rifle the extra weight of the 338wm is no problem.

The 338 win mag is by far the superior performer of these two. The 340 wby will shoot just as accurate as anything else with velocities in bullets up to 250 grains very close to the ultramags. I chronographed the 338-300 wsm and it was the equal of the 338 gibbs, 338-06 AI. All three are very good rounds but do not get enough velocity for serious long range work.

The 338 win mag is by far the superior performer of these two. The 340 wby will shoot just as accurate as anything else with velocities in bullets up to 250 grains very close to the ultramags. I chronographed the 338-300 wsm and it was the equal of the 338 gibbs, 338-06 AI. All three are very good rounds but do not get enough velocity for serious long range work.

Out of curiosity, what were your velocities with the 338-300WSM? What bullet did you use?

Tank

Hi long time long ranger.

Hi was wondering that the free bore was loosing some "percision" due to the fac that you can not sit your bullet close to the groose. You anser my question.

My be better to wait to get a bigger calliber for long range... Butt it wil be a 338 round!!!

Liltank, We focused on the 225 accubond because in my opinion the 338-300 wsm is at most a 600 yard rifle and the velocity loss with heavy bullets did not justify use of them at that range. We were able to get velocities in the 2800's out of those bullets. Magpro was an excellent performer along with H-414, 4350 and reloader 17.

Weatherby freebore rifles will shoot exceptionaly well. I have taken big game at long range many times with these rifles. The 257 wby Mk 5 my son shoots will shoot 1" groups at 400 yards. Standard, off the shelf 257 wby. I could give many other examples. While practicing for his deer hunt we simulated a 627 yard one shot kill by walking to an unknown distance turning around, ranging and firing. He shot through a 2" bullseye with the shot.

Ditto on the above, My 14 yr. old this season was bear @ 350 w/7mm rem, antelope @ 530 W/ 257 WM, deer @ 300 W/ 223 62 GR TSX. Bull @ 540 w/325 wsm. Did alot better than I. best group out of my 340 3/8 @ 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.