.325 wsm??

I have to wonder, why didn't you look into the .300wm as you can shoot a 200grn bullet with enough velocity to kill and elk at the ranges your looking at and be able to get ammo anywhere at a decent price when compared to the WSM ammo? I know nothing about the .325wsm and i'm sure it's a great cartridge, i'm just confused by the posts on this site, some talk about how good a .260 does on elk and others think you need nothing short of a .338, I often think people argue for what they own and shoot. I think you'll be happy with the caliber you shoot well, if that' the .325 or something else, good luck with your choice and if you can't decide buy all of them it's just money, lol.

I believe that you can kill an elk with a 25-06 if you know the limits of your rifle. The reason no one has mentioned the 300 WM is because he didn't list it and therefore is my belief that he ruled it out already. So I just went with what he wanted. Is a 260 rem a good elk cartridge? Sure but I believe there are better, ESPECIALLY at longer distances.

A .22 long rifle is a perfectly suitable cartridge for any elk walking the planet Earth. What is suitable and what is ideal are two completely different things. At the end of the day many small calibers will get it done...the only limitation is the error of man in choosing the correct bullet and shot placement.

The 338 RCM isn't the 300 WSM necked up... that'd be a 338 WSM.

You are absolutely correct. The wild cat was/is called a 338/300WSM

It is not simply a necked up 300 but it is based on the 300 WSM, and just like most company's
Ruger changed the case dimensions so they could call it theirs just like Nosler did with the 280 AI.

The 200 grain 325 and the 338 both have identical velocities (2950) and energy's (3864)

The largest bullet for the 325 is a 220 grain spitzer and the 338 rcm has a very good bullet
selection in 225 grain +

The 338 RCM is no better than the 325 IMO except for the bullet selection and if loaded with the
250 grain bullets in 338 it becomes bear medicine in a short action.

J E CUSTOM

I did some checking, wikipedia and other 'net sources and what I found out is that the RCM cartridges are based off of the 375 RUGER which has different brass dimensions than the WSMs or SAUMs. All of the mentioned cartridges utilize the .532 bolt head, but the WSMs and SAUMs are rebated from a diameter of approximately .555 and .550.

From my reading, the 375 Ruger and RCMS are .532 rim and .532 case head/body and are .020 smaller in diameter than the WSMs. Basically the Ruger cases at the head are the same size as the belts on traditional cases, 375 H&H and 300 Win Mag, etc.

I just didn't think that it was a fair comparison to say that the RCMs were based off of the WSMs. I think the dimensions are much too different and so dis-similar that it is not a correct comparision.

I agree that the 325 wsm, 338 win mag, and even 300 win mag with heavy bullets would all be effective for elk, bear, etc, and probably almost equally effective. Just pick the one that tickles your fancy and go with it. I agree with the others, if not reloading, go with the more common, easily found ammunition.

Well Mr. Burton, did you end up getting a .325? If so which one?

I laughed when I read on Wikipedia about the round that "It was intended to take medium bodied, non-dangerous thin skinned game under 1800 lbs." Well, that's an elk alright, but I'd go farther than that with it.

Seriously, I would guess that you could take just about any Alaskan Brown with that. Come on, 3900 ftlbs from a 220 gr Barnes going 2900fps...Hello, that will penetrate and knock the crap out of just about anything. Its distance and shot placement and at 200 yards, a decent 1st shot should kill just about anything on the continent. Think about what a 270win with a 130- 150 does to a wild boar at 200 yards...goes right through, shoulder and all. Then move up to 7RM...that'll do the same at 400. Then up to 32 cal with similar velocities and 200gr. Done.

Wow this is an old thread. No I never went with the 325 wsm. At the time I did not think that it would stick around and was concerned that at some point I would not be able to get ammo. Since I have started reloading so it probably would not be an issue now. But, I ended up going with a 338 win mag. It is a Tikka T3 and has done well for me so far. Although I don't use it all that much. I have some other rifles that I use a lot more.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.