32 Winchester Special lever action?

Sid Post

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum so, feel free to point me in the right direction or move this thread ...

I have the hankering for an older Winchester lever action. Ideally, I'd find a 45 Colt in an 1892 but, they are super expensive right now so, I started looking at the pre-64 1894's. There seems to be a big price difference in those between 30-30's and 32 Winchester Specials.

I realize the 32 Winchester Special is essentially an 8mm '30-30' built for black powder loads with its 1 in 16" twist barrel versus the 1-12" 30-30. This seems like an appropriate twist for 170gr projectiles compatible with a tube-fed rifle so, skipping all the pointy bullets seems like a compatible twist rate.

Shorter range (<200 yards) it looks like the 32 Winchester Special has the edge on the 30-30 with more velocity for a given projectile weight and beyond that, the sectional density advantage of the 30-30 takes over and provides it with superior ballistics.

I want a rifle that is reasonable on feral hogs and aggressive dogs so, I think any of the modern centerfire cartridges are reasonable choices with the 32 Winchester Special having an advantage for more reasonable lever-action distances.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track or, am I overlooking something obvious?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. Factory ammo isn't an issue today as none of the rounds are available today for non-scalper or price gouged rates and I plan on reloading.

.32 Winchester Special has the power to knock down hogs. I harvested plenty of hogs and deer with my uncles 1894 trapper. Borrowed it for so long I felt bad and gave it back and got a 1894 trapper in .357 to take its place. Much more enjoyable to shoot but it doesn't anchor big hogs like the 32 did.

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum so, feel free to point me in the right direction or move this thread ...

I have the hankering for an older Winchester lever action. Ideally, I'd find a 45 Colt in an 1892 but, they are super expensive right now so, I started looking at the pre-64 1894's. There seems to be a big price difference in those between 30-30's and 32 Winchester Specials.

I realize the 32 Winchester Special is essentially an 8mm '30-30' built for black powder loads with its 1 in 16" twist barrel versus the 1-12" 30-30. This seems like an appropriate twist for 170gr projectiles compatible with a tube-fed rifle so, skipping all the pointy bullets seems like a compatible twist rate.

Shorter range (<200 yards) it looks like the 32 Winchester Special has the edge on the 30-30 with more velocity for a given projectile weight and beyond that, the sectional density advantage of the 30-30 takes over and provides it with superior ballistics.

I want a rifle that is reasonable on feral hogs and aggressive dogs so, I think any of the modern centerfire cartridges are reasonable choices with the 32 Winchester Special having an advantage for more reasonable lever-action distances.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track or, am I overlooking something obvious?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. Factory ammo isn't an issue today as none of the rounds are available today for non-scalper or price gouged rates and I plan on reloading.
If you get ready I have one pre64 700 + shipping let me know

WOW dtarver - for that price I'd sell him my mint condition pre 64 model 94 in 32spl with all the ammo may be 300 rounds) and dies and whatever bullets I have not yet used! Seriously.
I also have a pre 64 94 in 30-30.
Check your messages! Phone and email are there to follow up when convenient for both of us. :)