32" Barrel for a 375 Wby?

casspir

I have a 375 Wby with a 22" barrel. Velocity with a 300gr bullet is about 2727fps. Would there be any merit for a 32" barrel in terms of velocity?

Thanks.gun)

I have a 375 Wby with a 22" barrel. Velocity with a 300gr bullet is about 2727fps. Would there be any merit for a 32" barrel in terms of velocity?

Thanks.gun)

22" sounds a little short even for a 375. except for a dangerous game rifle.

If you want more velocity, you will need more barrel. But there is a point of
diminishing returns and on a bore this size I would think 26"to 28" inches
would be about it for all round performance.

The longer you get the more the barrel flexes unless you increase barrel dia.
causing harmonic problems.

Dan Lilja (Lilja Barrels)did some extensive testing starting with a barrel 44'' (I think)
long and cut 2" off at a time to find the optimum barrel length. Log on to his web site
and look under FAQs.

On the big Weatherby cases that consume lots of slower burning powder I would think
that 4 to 6 Inches would add 100+ ft/sec to an already powerful round. But at 32" I
would think that any advantage would be lost of accuracy and usability.

Just an opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I'd have to go with the last reply (JE's)... your not going to gain much after 26" inch in a .375 cal rifle. Even if you made it a little longer {an of course larger diameter} and experemented with different powder(s); you'd hit a dead end. Most the .375 H&H's I've owned in my life time; pretty much gave everything they had in 22" inches with a little gain in the 24" inch barrel depending on, bullet, powder and how daring I wanted to get. So 26" perhaps 28" would be the max I'm sure. A really shout load, 26" inch long barrel, with a little more free bore might get you those velocity's you want; what ever they are.

Thank you for the comments. I used the rifle as a dangerous game rifle for many years and have more or less shot all I would ever be able to afford.

I thought with more velocity gained, I would be able to shoot distances up to 500 yrds accurately....with a 375 this is kinda difficult.

However, I am now looking for a more plains type of rifle/calibre. It seems a better suited caliber like a 338 Edge might be the answer.

Again, thanks for your input.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.