30x6.5 RPM Wildcat Thoughts

LOVE the idea, OP! I was wanting to open up my 30-06 a few weeks ago with a 30-284 reamer and another member turned me on to this cartridge.
Nice! I think it has good potential, probably not the most economical project at this point. Let me know how your build goes if that's the direction you decide to go.

I don't understand your response Rich? I know Europe has an 8mm and 6.5mm version of the 9.3mm, which has been around since '27 according to Wiki. The RPM is the USA version with the proper Rim size.
I think it would be a good performer. My only question was the weatherby brass cost compared to a wsm or some others.

I think it would be a good performer. My only question was the weatherby brass cost compared to a wsm or some others.
Yeah, my biggest concern is long term brass availability on the Weatherby. They have some once fired for about $1 per piece now, I feel like other guys on the forum will have a better idea of if anyone else like Hornady, Peterson, or Lapua will ever pick this up. I'm guessing it mostly comes down to popularity?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's my biggest concern is long term brass availability. They have some once fired for about $1 per piece, I feel like other guys on the forum will have a better idea of if anyone else like Hornady, Peterson, or Lapua will ever pick this up. I'm guessing it mostly comes down to popularity?
Often, it just boils down to what you want and it is fun to have something a little different. If it is what you want, I guess the brass thing is not that big of an issue🙂

9.3x64 brenneke sized down to .308 caliber was a very common Wildcat in the old days. A poor mans magnum was a 30-06 converted over. Virtually the same as the 30 Newton. (Once again he rears his ugly head)

They can make any Reamer you desire, it's their business to provide this service. The 300 PRC is superior.

300 PRC isn't superior if you need it to feed in a standard length action. I like the idea of this wildcat since rebarreling is just that vs open bolt face and Wyatt mag box. The feed lips may not need to be fooled with either. I'd like to see what the 30-6.5 RPM offers over the 06 though first

300 PRC isn't superior if you need it to feed in a standard length action. I like the idea of this wildcat since rebarreling is just that vs open bolt face and Wyatt mag box. The feed lips may not need to be fooled with either. I'd like to see what the 30-6.5 RPM offers over the 06 though first
Yeah, that's why I would like to see if someone else has taken the plunge.

It's case capacity is quite a bit higher than the 06 from what I've seen. I also think a .30 RPM wouldn't quite be the barrel burner the 6.5 RPM is likely to be, but I am far from an expert in these issues

Yeah, that's why I would like to see if someone else has taken the plunge.

It's case capacity is quite a bit higher than the 06 from what I've seen. I also think a .30 RPM wouldn't quite be the barrel burner the 6.5 RPM is likely to be, but I am far from an expert in these issues
There is no doubt thar the RPM will easily outrun an ''06!!

There is no doubt thar the RPM will easily outrun an ''06!!

Yeah, my back of envelope math, not knowing how cartridge design will influence velocity or how necking it up will influence capacity has it maybe a little faster than a .300 WSM? I'm sure someone else will have better estimates.

I don't understand your response Rich? I know Europe has an 8mm and 6.5mm version of the 9.3mm, which has been around since '27 according to Wiki. The RPM is the USA version with the proper Rim size.

Below is a photo of the 9.3 Brenneke case modified with a Weatherby shoulder and necked to 6.5mm. The other is a Weatherby 6.5RPM. Both are unfired cases. The 6.5 Coyle holds 80.3 grains of water and the RPM holds 80 grains. The barrel that was 6.5mm was bored out to 8mm with a new throat and no other changes.

IMG_20200331_085143.jpg

A few tips about dealing with PTG.

1) Don't buy anything from them that isn't already in stock.

2) Don't buy anything from them that needs exact tolerances (reamers etc.)

3) Don't buy anything from them that you need in a hurry.

You might get lucky, but the odds these days are against you.

The local gunsmiths no longer do business with PTG. Too many problems with tolerances and delivery.

I'll preface this with I know that it would be cheaper just to buy a new bolt and go with a magnum, but I have a Remington 721 in .260 Remington I was considering rebarreling in the near future.

I had been interested in the new 6.5 WBY RPM, but I saw PTG has a 30x6.5 RPM reamer now. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this as a wildcat, without doing in depth research it seems like it could get around .300 WSM levels with just a barrel swap? I'm assuming I would have to have custom reloading dies made.
If I was looking at building another 6.5, I would look for a deal on a used mag rifle or action. Then I would barrel in 6.5 STW.

MattT If your 260 rem barrel is 24" long or Longer the simple thing is the 6.5/06AI just rechamber. now you cannot go to regular 6.5/06 because of the 260 sholder is too large for the 06 case. you may thing the ^.5 on a 284 lenghten case is great but in normal terms the 6.5/06 will do about the same thing with a lot less powder noise and fuss.. JUST a thought.. rechamber shold be about 50.00

MattT If your 260 rem barrel is 24" long or Longer the simple thing is the 6.5/06AI just rechamber. now you cannot go to regular 6.5/06 because of the 260 sholder is too large for the 06 case. you may thing the ^.5 on a 284 lenghten case is great but in normal terms the 6.5/06 will do about the same thing with a lot less powder noise and fuss.. JUST a thought.. rechamber shold be about 50.00
Yeah, those are good thoughts. I really like the idea of keeping my .260 Rem barrel because I have a lot of good brass, and dies for it. I don't know if it would ever happen, but I like the thought of being able to spin it back on for Whitetail season and target shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.