30cal muzzle brake for 7mm barrel?

Bigeclipse

I'm looking to get a muzzle brake for a 28nosler to replace a factor radial brake. I've noticed many of the top rated ones, such as the little bastard, are not available in 7mm. Only 6.5 and 30 cal. Would 30 cal work? If not, what options are out there for for self timing brakes 5-24 in 7mm? Thanks!

I run a 30 cal break (2AA Titanium X4) on my 284 Winchester and it is working well for me. I don't know how much the recoil reduction is, but it definitely seems to help with muzzle control, which was my primary concern. There would be some reduction in efficiency compared to a break specifically designed for the 7mm, but I don't think it is that much. I know someone on here had done some comparisons that seemed to show that there wasn't that big a drop in efficiency when the break was oversized, but I don't remember who.

I'm looking to get a muzzle brake for a 28nosler to replace a factor radial brake. I've noticed many of the top rated ones, such as the little bastard, are not available in 7mm. Only 6.5 and 30 cal. Would 30 cal work? If not, what options are out there for for self timing brakes 5-24 in 7mm? Thanks!

It's because they normally have the clearance for both .284 and .308 calibers. I seem to be collecting different types/designs (except for radial type) since 2003. Here is a list of self-indexing MBs ...

Cuts both noise and recoil.
I have yet to own a muzzle brake that reduces noise and I think most people would say they increase noise.

I have used .30 cal breaks on smaller caliber barrels and not been able to discern any decrease in effectiveness. Of the readily available brakes, I probably have found the APA Little Bast#$d the most effective at recoil reduction. I think they have a newer tunable model out that may help with staying on target a little more. The only APA brake I have tried that I didn't like was the micro bast#$d. It didn't seem as effective in recoil reduction on my 300WM as the other brakes I have tried.

Alpha dog said a suppressor reduces noise and recoil. True to both. And in the giant muzzlebrake test done on the PRS site he found that a 308 brake on a smaller bore only lost a small amount of effectiveness. It was less than 10%. Look up the test it's a good read.
Shep

Missed the suppressor when I read the alpha dog post. My bad

I have read the PRB brake testing results in the past and agree it was good info. Wish it where updated as there are numerous newer brakes available, and some like the JEC brake that tested well are no longer readily available. While dated, the test results still probably provide some indication of what style/ features on brake prove most effective for recoil reduction and staying on target.

My 30 cal suppressor works well on smaller calibers as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts