30BR....tell me your opinions

scotsgun

For some time now i've been considering a deer hunting rifle intended for a max range of 300-400yds, a fast accurate bullet yet long barrel life. Ideally i'd like the rifle to be light enough to carry all day in difficult terrain and have a barrel no longer than 22 inches.

Being that the main quarry will be large Galloway red deer (possibly the biggest deer in the UK), the close confines of planted coniferous forests and 2nd follow-up shots being unlikely, i wanted at least a 30cal. Ideally not a pig to shoot though.

Not asking much, am i?

I've considered all different calibres and then recently stumbled across the 30BR. So does anyone have anything helpful to add?

Thanks

In a 22 inch barrel you could push a bullet like the 125 Nosler BT at least 2800 fps. That would make a 400 yd deer gun for sure. Barrel life is something like 5,000 to 7,000 rounds. And the cartridge is as accurate and easy to load for as anything going. Not a bad idea really for a light handy gun.

But honestly the only downside of a 6.5x47 Lapua in comparison is less barrel life.

I think with your up front limits, the 30br would be excellent.
Especially given a 22" barrel, and relatively short range.

A .30BR could work but I'd be more inclined to go to a .300 Savage than a .30BR. The .300 Savage was developed for almost exactly your intended hunting mission, can shoot a heavier bullet, and is plenty comfortable to shoot.

Fitch

Given the constrains a 30BR would work well, however there isn't a whole lot of energy behind it...

Maybe I missed something but what's wrong with a .308 win? 22in bbl shoot 150s or 165gr class bullets will hammer a deer a lot harder than a 125 Btip at 2800... And recoil is hardly bad. For 400yard shooting it will be extremely difficult to wear out a .308win to the point you can't consistently smack a deer in the vitals at 400 with a good shooter behind the rifle.

A .308 win would be my advice. 30BR is cool for putting lots of holes ontop of eachother in sheets of paper, in my opinion, not the best for 400yard deer, you will be down to right around 1000ft/lbs f energy and if there is a bit of wind, forget it.

The 30 BR is a fun low recoiling chambering created for shoot for score bench contests. It may work for limited hunting but it is cost prohibitive and impractical.

I have one and here are a few insights:

You will have to neck up either 6 BR or 7 BR brass as no 30 BR exists. A custom reamer will most likely have to be purchased. Most existing reamers have short throats for 118-125 target bullets and the neck diameter requires neck turning.

link for details: 30BR Guide - 30 BR Benchrest Lapua Cartridge with Reloading, .308 Bullet, Accuracy, and Competition Info

6 BR norma brass has a very tiny flash hole, the RCBS decapping pin will get stuck in the hole. It was a surprise to me when it happened...7 BR rem brass has a larger flashhole. All BR brass uses a small primer.

If you are going to use a repeater the magazine/feed ramp will require attention. This round will not consistently feed from my short action rem 700. I single feed and only use my rifle for paper punching and practice with a bi-pod and sandbag.

To my knowledge there is no ammunition available.

The one advantage to this round is low recoil and low heat. I can fire off a string of 10 shots in 90 degree weather and the barrel only gets warm.

I think you would be poorly served in choosing this round for deer hunting. The 308 would be a far better choice. If you want less recoil or velocity you can always download the 308 .

Maybe I missed something but what's wrong with a .308 win?

Only 1 thing: i already have one. I have a Steyr SSG69 with a Kahles scope calibrated to 168gr bullets at 2600 - just dial in the range and you're spot on.

I just wanted something different - in particular something light, compact and suitable for close confined re-planted forests yet suitable for the large species deer.

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions - especially AZshooter. ...back to the drawing board.

30x47 it is used in hunter BR competition is extreamly accurate and should not have the feeding issues of the br. velocity should be slightly below the 308, but 125-135 grain bullets should still clock 2900+

see link
30 x 47 Lapua -

you want something different, but also something that works; then look no further than a .257 Roberts. The round just works well, and won't do a lot of meat damage.
gary

I was holding back to see if anyone talked about alternative cartridges. I think going with a larger diameter bullet that moves fairly slow might be better. How about the 358 win? Easy to make by simply necking up 308 brass and dies are readily available as it isn't a wildcat.

A cheap and readily available 200 gr cup and core bullet through both shoulders will drop them in their tracvks with minimal meat damage. Lung/heart hits will make a nice exit hole for easy tracking.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.