30BR Amazing

Augustus

Sub half sub-sonic with 240 SMKs. Sub-half with 125 accubonds at 2700 fps from 16 inch 8 twist. Seems to good to be true. It's true folks.

If you want quiet, just get a .300 Blackout and shoot sub loads with 220gr bullets and an AAC 762SDN-6 suppressor. You wanna talk about quiet... You could hear a gnat fart.

I wanted something quiet and powerful. The 30BR subsonic loads with the Thunderbeast sounds about like a big air gun. Change mags and you have a load very close to a 308 Winchester. 125s at 2700 fps is a serious medium game round.

The Blackout is really nice subsonic but is a little weak for what I wanted on the high side.

I have killed a good number of deer 50+ with the 125 Nosler ballistic tips at 2670 fps from my T/C Contender pistol 14" 30-30AI and my 30X47 rifle at 2850 fps and 308 Win at 3000 fps. Excellent bullet. Never tried the 125 AB. Only box of them I ever saw for sale was in a little gun shop/pawn shop and they wanted $50 a box. I have a good stock of the BT so if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.:D

I have killed a good number of deer 50+ with the 125 Nosler ballistic tips at 2670 fps from my T/C Contender pistol 14" 30-30AI and my 30X47 rifle at 2850 fps and 308 Win at 3000 fps. Excellent bullet. Never tried the 125 AB. Only box of them I ever saw for sale was in a little gun shop/pawn shop and they wanted $50 a box. I have a good stock of the BT so if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.:D

I hear that .30-30 AI is a nice little round. Kind of like the 7mm STE (Shooting Times Easterner), which is based off the .307 Winchester case.

Yes the 30-30AI is awesome in the pistol. You can equal or surpass the velocities of a standard Win 94 30-30 rifle with all bullets in a 14" barrel and do it while shooting under MOA. You can also shoot factory 30-30 ammo in a pinch, and is actually a good way to get your fire formed cases, and it is accurate. I got my barrel from Match Grade Machines (MGM) 14" Shilen SS. It has a nice and tight chamber and the cases never need trimming and they are lasting a long time. The 125 BT is awesome on deer. I always place the bullet into or have it exit a shoulder and 90% of the time they drop in their tracks and those that don't have not gone over 30 yards and have been bucks all fired up during the rut. The bullets have always exited even through both shoulders and as close as 30 yards.

The 7 STE has too much pressure for the Contender action but the 7-30 Waters is a good one. It is the 30-30 necked down to 7mm basically.

Yes the 30-30AI is awesome in the pistol. You can equal or surpass the velocities of a standard Win 94 30-30 rifle with all bullets in a 14" barrel and do it while shooting under MOA. You can also shoot factory 30-30 ammo in a pinch, and is actually a good way to get your fire formed cases, and it is accurate. I got my barrel from Match Grade Machines (MGM) 14" Shilen SS. It has a nice and tight chamber and the cases never need trimming and they are lasting a long time. The 125 BT is awesome on deer. I always place the bullet into or have it exit a shoulder and 90% of the time they drop in their tracks and those that don't have not gone over 30 yards and have been bucks all fired up during the rut. The bullets have always exited even through both shoulders and as close as 30 yards.

The 7 STE has too much pressure for the Contender action but the 7-30 Waters is a good one. It is the 30-30 necked down to 7mm basically.
I've seen some BIG calibers in the Contenders....You sure the little 7mm STE is too much pressure? I've seen some very large magnum calibers, and even some of the safari "dangerous game" calibers, and big Weatherby calibers in them...

I've seen some BIG calibers in the Contenders....You sure the little 7mm STE is too much pressure? I've seen some very large magnum calibers, and even some of the safari "dangerous game" calibers, and big Weatherby calibers in them...

Ya I agree with MudRunner. I too have seen some scary big shells in those contenders. They are a pretty strong action to say the least.

I think you may be confusing the Encore with the Contender. The Encore frame is made for the BIG calibers. Contender is made for 30-30 Win pressures. I have seen Contender frames that have been stretched by trying to push the pressures. The newer G2 Contender frame is a little bit stronger than the original Contender but they are still limited to the 30-30 Win class pressures.

I think you may be confusing the Encore with the Contender. The Encore frame is made for the BIG calibers. Contender is made for 30-30 Win pressures. I have seen Contender frames that have been stretched by trying to push the pressures. The newer G2 Contender frame is a little bit stronger than the original Contender but they are still limited to the 30-30 Win class pressures.

Ya I think I was confused. Those Encores and Contenders aren't my specaility haha.

30 Br is one hell of an accurate round, it will compete with the 6 PPC. SHHH don't tell the group shooters. Several yrs ago I shot mine in the IBS 300 yd Group Nationals and ended the day with a .2303" agg. I had a teen agg after match 4 and was close to a world record. The 2nd place PPC was a .26" agg. Last yr I again shot it in a group match and guys were telling me before the match that the 30 BR can't compete, I placed 2nd with it in winds up to 30+ MPH. All I heard was hmmm good shooting.
Tell you the truth I never thought to shoot it with the real heavies as my barrel twist is 1-18"

I shoot H-4198 in mine, what powder do you shoot with the heavies?

I'm shooting 4198 with the 125 and 4759 with the SMK 240 for subsonics. I built it on an AR with manual operation. This thing shoots nice with both loads. I really didn't expect the 125s to shoot this good from an 8 twist. The 240s at 1025 fps has been consistently under half min and ES is single digits.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.