.308?

kc

Ok guys this is a dumb question. I am not stupid but I have a problem that I don't have with my .223...This .308 Remington Varmit rifle(heavy barrel) I can have it dead on at 100 yards and when I shoot 200 yards it hits 4 inches to the right, the barrel is cold and no wind temp is about 45 degrees. is this the norm? I am using Hornaday match ammo.

first place i'd look is the crown, check CLOSE for defects. assuming the loads are consistant and bbl/action are where they belong.

no,your the first.I've seen factory varment 308's shoot 2 inch groups at 500yrds.chesk the crown like the other gent said.

Will do! I load for accuracy, right down to the grain, cases, primers and AOL is right on.
I even load for my friends and thay love the consistancy with the accuricy and the care I use
to make the loads. I even check the run out on cases and the cartrige before and after the load.

@ 100 yards I can get 1 to 1.5.

Will do! I load for accuracy, right down to the grain, cases, primers and AOL is right on.
I even load for my friends and thay love the consistancy with the accuricy and the care I use
to make the loads. I even check the run out on cases and the cartrige before and after the load.

@ 100 yards I can get 1 to 1.5.

1.5" @ 100yds just don't sound right for any varmint style rig. Definetly pull the scope and check the bases, then put extra care in mounting the rings and scope. Then check the crown as other's have said. Also, what are you shooting off of at the range ?

We have a solid bench /table Cement beams no muzzel break I shooting for the crown,
I check every bullet(speer 168) before I finish each load..I don't load blind.

We have a solid bench /table Cement beams no muzzel break I shooting for the crown,
I check every bullet(speer 168) before I finish each load..I don't load blind. I have a Harris Bi-Pod
Sand bags.

Well there's your problem, "Speer 168"! Have you tried any other bullets yet? Depending on what Speer bullet you are using, this could be contributing to your in accuracy at longer ranges. Have you had success with this bullet in the past (.5, .75" groups at 100yrds)?

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.