.308 Winchester Still Has It

The older Remington 700 BDL Varmint rifle is one of a kind, I've owned many of them over the years in many different calibers and they all shot extremally well right out of the box. Great group, with a super cartridge and rifle combo. Cheer's
I agree! He has an identical rifle to this one, but in .222 that shoots ridiculously small groups every time we take it out.

Of Course the 308 is an excellent cartridge! Why do you think they chambered the M-14 military rifle in it!!!!!!!
My Dad has one of those too haha. It's actually a National Match M1A that he built. He learned how to accurize them and build them when he was with the Army Marksmanship Unit in the late 80s. It has a Hart barrel, heavy wood stock that he bedded with Devcon, and a trigger that he tuned to be about as light as possible before going automatic haha. He put a M25 style mount on it with a Nikon 6-18x scope. It shoots as well as most bolt guns.

My Dad has one of those too haha. It's actually a National Match M1A that he built. He learned how to accurize them and build them when he was with the Army Marksmanship Unit in the late 80s. It has a Hart barrel, heavy wood stock that he bedded with Devcon, and a trigger that he tuned to be about as light as possible before going automatic haha. He put a M25 style mount on it with a Nikon 6-18x scope. It shoots as well as most bolt guns.
YE!!! I was weened on an M-14 in the army in 1969. Made expert with it. When I got to Vietnam the asked for volunteers who had made expert with the M-14 for the Sniper Core. Of course I volunteered and got my National Match M-14 rather that the M-16 I didn't care much for anyway!

YE!!! I was weened on an M-14 in the army in 1969. Made expert with it. When I got to Vietnam the asked for volunteers who had made expert with the M-14 for the Sniper Core. Of course I volunteered and got my National Match M-14 rather that the M-16 I didn't care much for anyway!
That's awesome! The M14 is a heck of a rifle. Thank you for service. My grandfather on my Mom's side who has since passed away, served with the Navy on river patrol boats in 69-70 in Vietnam.

That's awesome! The M14 is a heck of a rifle. Thank you for service. My grandfather on my Mom's side who has since passed away, served with the Navy on river patrol boats in 69-70 in Vietnam.
Well be proud of your Grandfather's service in the Navy! Those river boat troops were out in the open on the river and got ambushed often! I was Army. Boots on the ground. At least I had plenty of cover when the S.H.T.F.

Check out this group I fired tonight at 100 yards with my Dad's old Remington 700 Varmint Special with Leupold 6.5-20x40 Target scope. Those 3 shots measure 0.067" center to center. Calipers pictured show 0.375 outside to outside. This old rifle and cartridge can still shoot some incredible groups. This is my personal best group I've ever shot at 100 yards!

.308 Winchester
168gr AMAX
43.6gr Varget
Remington 9 1/2 Primer
2.875 OAL
Peterson .308 Win Match brass!
Wow great shooting

I have 6mm cm, 6.5 cm, but the Browning AB3, .308 is the most consistant. It is the go to gun when it really counts

Attachments

• 308 at 100.jpg
    308 at 100.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 145
I agree!!! My 308 Howa heavy barrel bolt action will shoot 600 yards with my scale weighed charges of 42.0 gr. IMR 4064 under the Speer B.T.S.P. #2034 165 gr. bullet. CCI 200 primer at 2500 F.P.S. Also same charge with the Hornady 168 B.T.H.P. Works excellent when you can get a shot that far! In thick woods I use my 1983 Marlin 336 lever gun. 35 Remington caliber 180 grain B.T.S.P. 38 gr. IMR 4084 at 21 F.P.S for brush hunting. That is still excellent accuracy at 200 yards!!!

Jud96,

Yep'..., the M14 design is timeless as is the cartridge, I've used both the M14 and the M21 over my many years I like the rifle so much that I set one up for my general all-around rifle (NM Loaded M1A) pretty darn hard to beat'..., drop in a few Sadlak parts; gas piston, op rod, and replace Springfield's extractor with the original GI grade and it's quite the pipe hitter. I get amazing accuracy with my 168gr MK loads that equal most of my bolt rifles in .308/7.62x51mm which translates to 1 moa and under for five-shot groups.

Resized_20190831_085106.jpeg
Resized_20190831_085259 (1).jpeg
Resized_20190831_085312.jpeg
Resized_20190831_085228001.jpeg

Jud96,

Yep'..., the M14 design is timeless as is the cartridge, I've used both the M14 and the M21 over my many years I like the rifle so much that I set one up for my general all-around rifle (NM Loaded M1A) pretty darn hard to beat'..., drop in a few Sadlak parts; gas piston, op rod, and replace Springfield's extractor with the original GI grade and it's quite the pipe hitter. I get amazing accuracy with my 168gr MK loads that equal most of my bolt rifles in .308/7.62x51mm which translates to 1 moa and under for five-shot groups.

View attachment 147412 View attachment 147413 View attachment 147414 View attachment 147415

That's a sweet rifle! I'll try to get a picture of my Dad's.

Recent Posts