308 Winchester hunting bullets for over 500 yards

Holland Radial Baffle brakes will be one of the better brakes IMO.
Consider the bullets you want to use for hunting, and look up their minimum impact velocity, combined with a guesstimate of the MV's you will get with your chosen cartridge(s)
This is a 7mm Dakota with 175's at 2900 fps--83 grains of Reloader 33

Thanks my friend

Tagging in. Hoping to hear a trophy conclusion with pics. Sounds like you got it about all dialed in. Do you have the option of taking a doe or cull buck from that location prior to the big shot?

Where you from and where are you shooting? Just general location, I am assuming Kentucky from your user name but you know what they say about assuming…. Welcome aboard.

Tagging in. Hoping to hear a trophy conclusion with pics. Sounds like you got it about all dialed in. Do you have the option of taking a doe or cull buck from that location prior to the big shot?

Where you from and where are you shooting? Just general location, I am assuming Kentucky from your user name but you know what they say about assuming…. Welcome aboard.
East end of Kentucky and the site's on a buddies farm. Yes there was one shot made at 916 on one. Unfortunately I was not up to shoot, I was spotting and my buddy was just as interested in what his setup would do at that distance as I was. So he took the shot while I ranged and spotted. Switching positions takes a little time as one table for 2 shooters. Like most i suppose we use different equipment. There have been a doe or two, but mostly bucks. 10, 8, a 6 but could be a 7 and a 4. 3 have been in the cut at once. It really is funny watching them get curious about the bullet impacting the dirt. The 8 especially. Last evening he came right to left in at a fast walk head down to my last bullet impact. Sounds crazy but I need to get that on video or at least some pics. Where the creek is large and below the cliff about an hour before dark it gets hazy looking. Like your glass is dirty. The Niteforce 5x35 does a pretty good job and I'm running a Celestion 20-60x80 mm spot that does an excellent job for the money. Those clay we spread out get pretty hard to see at that time. We could and have shot to 1200. But the deer aren't in that area as much. I've taken a lot of deer over the years bow hunting and gun, but taking this beautiful beast at that distance would be a forever memory. As others have pointed out I wouldn't want the animal to suffer any more than neccessary, as having experience in that is partly the cause for the question about a bullet for 308 Win at said distance. That experience also keeps me from going to heavier calibers as I have in the past and didn't enjoy the suffering after a lot of shooting. I do plenty enough of that crap without needing anything to add to it. I'm shooting a .243 Winchester Tikka t3 with Barnes 80gr ttsx loaded to 3400 fps on my chronograph. Barrel twist won't let me shoot the extreme heavies in it. It compared to the 308 in recoil is very light. It's an accurate setup with thIs load and 85gr Gamekings at 3350 fps. I wouldn't be apposed to the 6.5 class if I could find components. I have an unopened 8lb H4350 sitting in my load room. I just think it's a little late to be changing my entire setup, but I'm no expert. As is the reason for the question on 308 Winchester bullets.

Holland Radial Baffle brakes will be one of the better brakes IMO.
Consider the bullets you want to use for hunting, and look up their minimum impact velocity, combined with a guesstimate of the MV's you will get with your chosen cartridge(s)
This is a 7mm Dakota with 175's at 2900 fps--83 grains of Reloader 33

That is surely impressive. I've watched it a couple of times. I'm not familiar with the 7mm Dakota, but a 175 in that configuration running 2900 is impressive to me.