308 Winchester hunting bullets for over 500 yards

A .284/ 7mm something probably would fit the OP the best. The problem is getting components prior to this year's hunt. A 7mm 180 ELDM going 2750 fps would probably match the recoil of his 308 Win using 175 SMK at 2750 fps. At my elevation 2200 ft he'd still be 1700 fps and 110 ft/lbs. I'd reach for that before my tried and true 308 Win.
I don't recall Kentukywindage asking about the .284/7mm

And given the OP's physical condition that combination I stated would come close to the recoil he is accustom to and would given him a better ballistical advantage.

Another option is to see if his friend would let him borrow his 300 wm. Maybe get permission to put on a Witt clamp on muzzle brake.

Another option is to see if his friend would let him borrow his 300 wm. Maybe get permission to put on a Witt clamp on muzzle brake.
His Christensen arms Ridgeline 26inch carbon fiber barrel has a nice break on it. He will be using it to hunt himself.
My old 308 isn't threaded. That was part of the conversation on the ride home. Changing barrels or having it threaded. Then D says, but the way it shoots right now....? I said Yep! Hard fix what's not really broken. Knowing it would change the gun.

I wouldn't change it. I'd get a new rifle or sneak in closer.
Can't get closer due to the lay out. It's a hillside/cliff thing on the other side of a large creek. With one way for us to access it up a shell rock, small cliff. This is the reason for asking this question to begin with actually. Also the reason that beast is so comfy over there.

A .284/ 7mm something probably would fit the OP the best. The problem is getting components prior to this year's hunt. A 7mm 180 ELDM going 2750 fps would probably match the recoil of his 308 Win using 175 SMK at 2750 fps. At my elevation 2200 ft he'd still be 1700 fps and 110 ft/lbs. I'd reach for that before my tried and true 308 Win.
Hell, I'd have to say even the smaller 7/08 running 162 elds is a great choice if the short action is the requirement. My 284 with 180s reaches 3000 fps with RL17. Easily 7mm mag performance. With that being great performance for Elk, the smaller 162 running 2750 would easily work very effectively. The only problem is, he's using a 308 and sounds like he uses it pretty well. I'm not here to change minds, just offer opinions or experience if asked.

Hell, I'd have to say even the smaller 7/08 running 162 elds is a great choice if the short action is the requirement. My 284 with 180s reaches 3000 fps with RL17. Easily 7mm mag performance. With that being great performance for Elk, the smaller 162 running 2750 would easily work very effectively. The only problem is, he's using a 308 and sounds like he uses it pretty well. I'm not here to change minds, just offer opinions or experience if asked.
Thank you

A quality muzzle brake for your 308 would help.
Still, you need to look at your impact velocities with the 168 A-Max/ELD-M, and see what they are at different distances. This will be your limiting factor
If you do a different build/rebarrel, make sure you use a quality solid-bottomed brake.
Getting into the 6.5's and 7mm's you have some options, if hunting at that distance is a commitment for you.

A new rifle!!!👏🥰👏
I have been checking barrels, action, rifles and cartridges out as of the start of this dilemma. Of course if this were the hardest decision a person had to make, wouldn't life be great!?
Holland Radial Baffle brakes will be one of the better brakes IMO.
Consider the bullets you want to use for hunting, and look up their minimum impact velocity, combined with a guesstimate of the MV's you will get with your chosen cartridge(s)
This is a 7mm Dakota with 175's at 2900 fps--83 grains of Reloader 33

Recent Posts