308 Winchester hunting bullets for over 500 yards

I've never competed before, but it's just a stock Savage M10. The load I'm shooting is I worked from 45.5 grains to 46.0. The largest group it shot was .475.
I'm being honest in what the gun can do. It may make a lier out of me tomorrow, but I have witnesses and video showing some of the shots. I'll try to put the target from working the loads here.
I think what he's getting at is saying you can hit a sub-1/2MOA target at 1000yds with implied regularity...>50%? exceeds the performance of purpose-built target rifles on purpose-built rests shot by shooters who specialize in doing exactly that. Fine if you hit them once in awhile, but claiming a factory rifle would hit a clay >50% of the time, over a significant number of shots, likely from a bipod or sandbag, at 1000yds simply defies belief.

I'd look at what bullets have the lowest expansion velocity in the 500-700 yard range. I don't know which ones but there are some. At ranges beyond that, if you care about the expansion envelope of the bullet (and you should), you will likely be looking for a bigger chambering.

Thanks guy's!
Sorry to be late on the come back, but I've been sick. I spent a week in bed. This crap going around is some tuff stuff! So thankful to be feeling better🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻.
Now to get back to shooting! I sure appreciate everyone's suggestions.
So glad you're feeling better!

Thanks. The twist is 1/10. A stock Savage FCP heavy fluted barrel. Shooting at our practice spot, (hunting spot, deer doesn't seem to mind🤷🏻‍♂️). We are usually within 1 or 2 .25 moa from being on. Of course that was 2 weeks ago. We were shooting a couple 3 times a week. Keeping dope and using Strelok or Geo Ballistics for me. From 800 to 1000 is actually where the 10 point is. Mostly 930 to 980 but I've also seen him cross over and get closer. No hunting pressure on the target side so I suspect him to be there sometime through rifle season. I did try 168 Bergers and IMR4064. They shot ok but on impact the splash from the 175 Matchking was completely different. The 175's were knocking holes in the ground and the splash was noticeably more. At 1000 the 175 MK load will not bust a water filled jug. Split it, yes. My buddies 300 WM Christensen arms Ridgeline 26inch carbon fiber will bounce it in the air.🤣😂 Sorry so long, just wanted an honest understanding of what I'm doing. The rifle has great accuracy with an Aries 4.5-27x50 APLR4 ffp.
Sounds like the match King being a match bullet is not expanding properly

I think what he's getting at is saying you can hit a sub-1/2MOA target at 1000yds with implied regularity...>50%? exceeds the performance of purpose-built target rifles on purpose-built rests shot by shooters who specialize in doing exactly that. Fine if you hit them once in awhile, but claiming a factory rifle would hit a clay >50% of the time, over a significant number of shots, likely from a bipod or sandbag, at 1000yds simply defies belief.

I'd look at what bullets have the lowest expansion velocity in the 500-700 yard range. I don't know which ones but there are some. At ranges beyond that, if you care about the expansion envelope of the bullet (and you should), you will likely be looking for a bigger chambering.
I really don't know what to say.
I stand by my statement 100%.
Shooting this same setup 2 months straight, sometimes 5 or 6 days a week I can tell you what the capabilities are from confirmed data in my log book. I'll leave this where it is, because I have nothing to prove. The great part is I have an exceptional shooting rifle and load apparently! Which makes me very happy and satisfied with my stock Savage M10, Athlon Ares btr gen2 HD APLR4 4.5-27x50, years of loading, shooting

I don't know what to say. I stand by my original statement 100%. For the last couple of months I've been shooting this same site and setup sometimes 6 times a week. My log book confirms and coincides with my statement. I'll leave this where it is. I have nothing to prove. I'm very happy to know my stock Savage M10 and Athlon Aries 4.5-27x50 APLR4, years of hand loading, training and practice and most importantly fun times have lead me to this.

I really don't know what to say.
I stand by my statement 100%.
Shooting this same setup 2 months straight, sometimes 5 or 6 days a week I can tell you what the capabilities are from confirmed data in my log book. I'll leave this where it is, because I have nothing to prove. The great part is I have an exceptional shooting rifle and load apparently! Which makes me very happy and satisfied with my stock Savage M10, Athlon Ares btr gen2 HD APLR4 4.5-27x50, years of loading, shooting

I don't know what to say. I stand by my original statement 100%. For the last couple of months I've been shooting this same site and setup sometimes 6 times a week. My log book confirms and coincides with my statement. I'll leave this where it is. I have nothing to prove. I'm very happy to know my stock Savage M10 and Athlon Aries 4.5-27x50 APLR4, years of hand loading, training and practice and most importantly fun times have lead me to this.
I guess that's all you can do

I have a. 308 but I've never tried anything above 165 grs. I've gotta try some of the heavier stuff. I didn't think you could drive the heavier ones fast enough. Guess I was wrong.

The 185s running around 2750 really work at 1000 yards. Great ballistics and accuracy. That's been almost two decades since I shot them. Today there are so many more heavy options for the 308 that are easily as good. I'd like to see a 185 TMK introduced.

The 185s running around 2750 really work at 1000 yards. Great ballistics and accuracy. That's been almost two decades since I shot them. Today there are so many more heavy options for the 308 that are easily as good. I'd like to see a 185 TMK introduced.

Not for hunting, but 1000 yards smacking 18x24 steel plates. 2000 MR pushing the 168 Hybrids at 2800. My double lug is set for high pressure loads, no pressure issue with this load.

The 168 Hybrids might just behave like the 215 Hybrids on game. Run the numbers at 2800 or more on bolt guns for retained velocity.

Watch "TLRS 1,000 YDS - Iron Sights - M1A" on YouTube

Nez

Considering this for whitetail. At this time I'm practicing at 800 to 1132 yards with my setup. Breaking clay pigeon's at 1000 yards. Usually within .25 to .50 moa on dope in present conditions. My load is Lapua brass, 45.5 gr CFE223 powder, Sierra Matchking 175gr for practice.

168gr amax or eldm

Exactly what Steve said!

FGMM factory, I am sure I could push it faster in my rifle but for comparison out of my 20" rifle and a 215 Berger handload from a 308 win.
Start velocity 1000 Yards 10 MPH wind drift in MOA
175gr Match King 2554 FPS 1183 FPS 9.9 MOA
215 Berger 2493 FPS 1457 FPS 6.3 MOA

Wind is the biggest advantage with the heavies, but velocity is pretty good too for that itty bitty case...Why it's my fav...