308 Winchester hunting bullets for over 500 yards

Recoil is a problem for me. So I've been looking at other calibers. It's just hard to change because I know this rifle and load so well. Discussed this last night after shooting while loading up. 6.5's I really wanna try, but finding components for some of the cartridges is like trying to find hen's teeth. My buddy D says you are married to the caliber Bob.
I'd say try one (a 300 WM or WSM) with a good muzzle brake and recoil pad. But in any case I hope the best for you whatever you decide.

Yupp...and knowledge and experience with a 308 long enough, said shooter probably knows it isn't stacking the deck in his favor.

I am not a 308 hater. I learned long range with one.

OP, test it. Go shoot targets that will react, bone in leg meat with other similar to game material and see what it does. Then you will have the confidence it your equipment. Then you will know what it is capable of and what it is not. Oh and learn the wind...That is the HUGE mitigating factor on the range of a 308 Winchester.
So what would you recommend ?

For me, the 308 win has a maximum range of 600 yards ONLY because I have so many other options for ranges beyond that. IF I only had one rifle and it was the 308 win, I'd probably extend that range another 200-400 yards but I'd intimately know that rifle and cartridge I'd shoot. There was a time when I did. I shot 185 vlds and used them beyond 1000 yards many times. Since then, the .284 has replaced that as my main hunting rifle.

As I stated originally the heaviest as fast as you can push, bullet in that class. What ever cartridge, in this case 308 Win. The WIND is the mitigating factor.

Put any foreign object violently into the VITALS and something will probably die. But you have to get it there. WIND is the hardest and the one you need to stack the deck in your favor with. Faster cartridges help with this by reducing the effects of this.

As I stated originally the heaviest as fast as you can push, bullet in that class. What ever cartridge, in this case 308 Win. The WIND is the mitigating factor.

Put any foreign object violently into the VITALS and something will probably die. But you have to get it there. WIND is the hardest and the one you need to stack the deck in your favor with. Faster cartridges help with this by reducing the effects of this.
Yup put one in the vitals and it will probably die. The question is when and will it be recovered. I'd rather hear that the OP killed it and recovered it. Not hit it and it ran off.

Yupp...and knowledge and experience with a 308 long enough, said shooter probably knows it isn't stacking the deck in his favor.

I am not a 308 hater. I learned long range with one.

OP, test it. Go shoot targets that will react, bone in leg meat with other similar to game material and see what it does. Then you will have the confidence it your equipment. Then you will know what it is capable of and what it is not. Oh and learn the wind...That is the HUGE mitigating factor on the range of a 308 Winchester.
I agree. The wind is by far the hardest. This area lays out odd. I've shot here in the rain also. Higher winds above 15 are usually the days we don't shoot knowing how it affects your shots. I understand how the environment can sometimes be a pain in the backside. I experienced my fair share. When I say practicing 6 days a week for 2 months, that goes along with the fact I've been shooting this gun off and on since 2017. Which if you look at the target I have picture as avatar, is dated. Shooting 22 rim fire out to 300 yards in this same area since the 90s as I worked in the town as a city officer and met the owners of the property I shoot on. I have keys to several livestock properties in this area being know for varmint hunting and being an honest guy.

Ok, I apologize to the OP for assuming those dudes on the ATVs were acting irresponsibly (based on your comments)... And in the same post saying I would lump you in the same category as irresponsible. Apologies if I have offended.

My 338 LM improved sure has a way of making many windy days seem pretty easy to shoot in versus most other rifles I shoot. I just don't see it as my "Go too" rifle for most game. Pushing a .8 BC hunting bullet at 3000+fps makes the wind seem a little less concerning yet it still requires a learning curve and time behind the rifle to conquer. I'm still not entirely confident in wind so it's why I have a range limitation with my rifles. The .284 is middle grounds for me allowing me to take the shots I'm offered in 95% of all scenarios I'm faced with. I guess that's all a hunter can do is know his and his rifles limitations.

My 338 LM improved sure has a way of making many windy days seem pretty easy to shoot in versus most other rifles I shoot. I just don't see it as my "Go too" rifle for most game. Pushing a .8 BC hunting bullet at 3000+fps makes the wind seem a little less concerning yet it still requires a learning curve and time behind the rifle to conquer. I'm still not entirely confident in wind so it's why I have a range limitation with my rifles. The .284 is middle grounds for me allowing me to take the shots I'm offered in 95% of all scenarios I'm faced with. I guess that's all a hunter can do is know his and his rifles limitations.
Recoil is the thing. I was, well let's just say hit at close range with a shotgun in my lower left flank and left for dead. So my right side, half liver, kidney, 18 feet of intestine, lower back muscle, lower right lobe of lung, 7 section of rib etc. Are all gone. With a 127 lead and bone fragment in my spine. Went back to work here in my hometown until my heath started really jacking with me.
Anyway better things to talk about. Smaller, lighter calibers are highly appealing after all that.🤣😂😁

Recoil is the thing. I was, well let's just say hit at close range with a shotgun in my lower left flank and left for dead. So my right side, half liver, kidney, 18 feet of intestine, lower back muscle, lower right lobe of lung, 7 section of rib etc. Are all gone. With a 127 lead and bone fragment in my spine. Went back to work here in my hometown until my heath started really jacking with me.
Anyway better things to talk about. Smaller, lighter calibers are highly appealing after all that.🤣😂😁
Right flank.

A .284/ 7mm something probably would fit the OP the best. The problem is getting components prior to this year's hunt. A 7mm 180 ELDM going 2750 fps would probably match the recoil of his 308 Win using 175 SMK at 2750 fps. At my elevation 2200 ft he'd still be 1700 fps and 110 ft/lbs. I'd reach for that before my tried and true 308 Win.