308 Winchester hunting bullets for over 500 yards

Always thought it was odd that Hornady discontinued all the Amax bullets except the .308 and .50 calibers. They never released the ELDs for .308/50.

Always thought it was odd that Hornady discontinued all the Amax bullets except the .308 and .50 calibers. They never released the ELDs for .308/50.
I for one do not like to jump through hoops with handloading. I like to keep things simple, KISS principle, and when I find something that works really good I want to stick with it. Hornady like everyone else in business has marketing initiatives, and an institution that does not change will die I understand, but I really think Hornady should keep their venerable Amax line in constant production like their interlock line and like Remington with Core-Lokt. By all means continue to produce whizbang technological advances in bullet technology, but give us hard headed simple sumbiscuits some piece of mind! 😄

I guess I never saw the 168 elds. Wish they would have kept the 140 AMax
I'm not saying that you can go out and buy a box of bullets, but I know that they are using the new 168 ELD-M in their TAP ammunition.
I can also tell you that it does just as good of a job on tissue as the old 168 A-Max. I would also say, that if you were comparing a 308 Winchester using factory TAP with a new 168, and the 147 grain 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, that the quickness of death or the results on tissue will be a little faster or a little better with a 308 Winchester versus the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Just passing on some information.

I'm not saying that you can go out and buy a box of bullets, but I know that they are using the new 168 ELD-M in their TAP ammunition.
I can also tell you that it does just as good of a job on tissue as the old 168 A-Max. I would also say, that if you were comparing a 308 Winchester using factory TAP with a new 168, and the 147 grain 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, that the quickness of death or the results on tissue will be a little faster or a little better with a 308 Winchester versus the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Just passing on some information.
I wouldn't know since I never used the 147 on game yet. Even had I did, it would take several scenarios for me to make that conclusion. I'll take your word for it tho since it's all I have. I do know the 168 Amax is a great deer bullet out to 600 yards in the 308 Win.

First of all, it is not me doing the evaluation. Second, it's a lot more than just several animals. Third, when death takes place there is a good amount of examining of bullet path, tissue damage, and making a note and where the bullet impacted and exited.

First of all, it is not me doing the evaluation. Second, it's a lot more than just several animals. Third, when death takes place there is a good amount of examining of bullet path, tissue damage, and making a note and where the bullet impacted and exited.
I got 20yrs and hundreds of hog kills within ranges of 50-500yds and hog weights of 80-350lbs. Sprinkle in some coyotes too and I'll say with utter confidence that the 168 Amax is an apex predator of a killing bullet. I can reveal this now as I have a lifetime supply and don't have to worry about letting the secret out. LOL

Before the 168 Amax, I used the 155 Amax. It was an absolute horror show. The "thwack" sounded like you spiked a pumpkin on concrete, and parts of bone and chunks of spine blew out of them. I'm surprised the Department of Energy didn't arrive to investigate low yield atomic signatures. I grew tired of the mess and switched to the 168 Amax that act more like a controlled expansion bullet, but with some fragmentation.

I'd like to try the 155s on deer, but can't shoot them with a centerfire rifle in my state. I'll tell you the equivalent murder pill for deer in a muzzleloader is a 290gr Barnes T-EZ at 1950fps. Hits them so hard I always see their hide ripple and their poor little elbows and knees buckle. I keep doing this and the deer will probably call PETA and send an emissary to sue for peace.

Thanks. The twist is 1/10. A stock Savage FCP heavy fluted barrel. Shooting at our practice spot, (hunting spot, deer doesn't seem to mind🤷🏻‍♂️). We are usually within 1 or 2 .25 moa from being on. Of course that was 2 weeks ago. We were shooting a couple 3 times a week. Keeping dope and using Strelok or Geo Ballistics for me. From 800 to 1000 is actually where the 10 point is. Mostly 930 to 980 but I've also seen him cross over and get closer. No hunting pressure on the target side so I suspect him to be there sometime through rifle season. I did try 168 Bergers and IMR4064. They shot ok but on impact the splash from the 175 Matchking was completely different. The 175's were knocking holes in the ground and the splash was noticeably more. At 1000 the 175 MK load will not bust a water filled jug. Split it, yes. My buddies 300 WM Christensen arms Ridgeline 26inch carbon fiber will bounce it in the air.🤣😂 Sorry so long, just wanted an honest understanding of what I'm doing. The rifle has great accuracy with an Aries 4.5-27x50 APLR4 ffp.
So are you considering taking that whitetail at 800-980 yards with a 308 win?

I guess I meant I have no way of knowing which bullet performs best on game since I only used the 168. Pretty obvious that you need numerous kills to compare two different bullets

I got 20yrs and hundreds of hog kills within ranges of 50-500yds and hog weights of 80-350lbs. Sprinkle in some coyotes too and I'll say with utter confidence that the 168 Amax is an apex predator of a killing bullet. I can reveal this now as I have a lifetime supply and don't have to worry about letting the secret out. LOL

Before the 168 Amax, I used the 155 Amax. It was an absolute horror show. The "thwack" sounded like you spiked a pumpkin on concrete, and parts of bone and chunks of spine blew out of them. I'm surprised the Department of Energy didn't arrive to investigate low yield atomic signatures. I grew tired of the mess and switched to the 168 Amax that act more like a controlled expansion bullet, but with some fragmentation.

I'd like to try the 155s on deer, but can't shoot them with a centerfire rifle in my state. I'll tell you the equivalent murder pill for deer in a muzzleloader is a 290gr Barnes T-EZ at 1950fps. Hits them so hard I always see their hide ripple and their poor little elbows and knees buckle. I keep doing this and the deer will probably call PETA and send an emissary to sue for peace.
Hey I actually have a new(old) box of 155 Amax. Never got around to loading them

So are you considering taking that whitetail at 800-980 yards with a 308 win?
I shot today with a buddy from on here. 965 and 1000. Didn't see the big 10, but the nice 8 came right up to one of the targets we were shooting. After putting the spotting scope on him and having a laugh about him being curios I suppose. Nose down to where the bullet impacted in the ground, me and my friend swapped places and that 8 was history. Didn't run. Just eased out of the cut. Pretty sure some rednecks up the road saw the 10. It's a dead end road on my friends farm but there's a cemetery close. Can't stop the travel until you just could see. We noticed shooting a couple weeks back before I got the crud those guys were riding an atv out back and forth right before dark. I told D I suspected they had capped the big one like true idiot's do after dark.😔 A shame if they did. He was a brute and beautiful rack. Anyway same shooting this afternoon except no 800 shots. My buddies Christensen 300 WM had sheared the mounting screws last time out so we zeroed and then shot a pigeon at 1000. He missed first shot but after a minor correction busted it. I did the same with 33.5 moa north and 1.25 moa left for 1000 clay. As for the deer at 9 to 1000. May sound crazy, but I know unless something makes for a big change, i can place a shot in the sweet spot. Will I? I've hunted since I was big enough to follow my dad. I've taken my share of game from trapping to shooting. Mink to whitetail. I asked a question about something I didn't know or have the answer too. I appreciate all the honest experience and help here. My buddy I shoot with, says he has no doubt my setup will take that buck at that range. The shot i can make.....the bullet doing it's job is a different story I'm afraid. I'm to busted up and full of shrapnel to shoot a bigger platform. Not to mention just getting old. The 8 as my buddy said this afternoon, is definitely not a deer you'd let walk by. He is right! If something should come to fruition, I'll be sure to post it. If it does and turns out bad, I'll still post it. Just bummed out thinking those idiots took that 10 illegally either way. Not their property. Never saw him or any other anywhere near the entrance from the highway. You know the new folks move in down the road and their family tree doesn't fork.