.308 win

JJMoody

a Few months back I picked up a tikka CTR in 308. I own a few really nice fire-breathing customs and love them. Finally shot the Tikka yesterday and just gotta say, it's kinda nice. Low recoil, no super-dooper intense reloading regimen, just bought 60 rounds of factory ammo ( Federal GMM168s) and made some pretty good shots out to around 825 on MOA sized targets. It was swell.... that's all I got ta say about that.

Agree 308's are great all round rifles. I too put one together about year ago. For our deer, pigs; and varmints it is more than enough. I carry mine with regular Nosler BT's and Hornady 110 V max that shoots same POI out to 150yds. The 6" Crux adds to it's niceness!
20191020_075220.jpg

I also bought a 308 CTR recently. I started out shooting with 6 and 6.5 mm rifles around 10 years ago and never expected to own a 308 but this one came up for a great price and I have to say it has been a better rifle than I expected. There are probably a thousand pages on the web arguing that 308 is obsolete. I'm planning to shoot it mainly under 600 yds, no drama just very accurate. Long barrel life, Lapua Palma brass and varget is great and with a can the recoil isn't much more than a 6.5 CM.

Last edited:
I too own one and shot it yesterday. It teaches you about being human as I had a literally one hole group until well the human factor kicked in. lol but I can live with 3/8" i guess

My wife and I are traveling on business for the winter and I usually pack my reloading gear. This year was a bit of a cluster getting out of town, so i decided to bring the only rifle I own that shoots factory ammo. Kinda like this little thing.

I have to agree with all here, I love the "Good Ole 308"!!!!! I have a Remmy 5R 308, also a 5R 300 WM, & a built 6x47L Remmy 700....... The built 6x47L might be slightly more accurate, But, I still Love shooting the 308 more!!!!

Built a 308 for my best friend for a Christmas present. Did some shooting with it and really enjoyed it. It doesn't try to hurt you and is really accurate. His likes 155vld varget

And I too agree with the 308 being an all around best caliber. My Howa 308 1500 mountain rifle with heavy barrel is the only rifle I need for hunting medium to large game. Had it now for over 20 years and never had to change the zero since I first zeroed it. Shoots 165 grain and 168 grain reloads to same point of aim.

And I too agree with the 308 being an all around best caliber. My Howa 308 1500 mountain rifle with heavy barrel is the only rifle I need for hunting medium to large game. Had it now for over 20 years and never had to change the zero since I first zeroed it. Shoots 165 grain and 168 grain reloads to same point of aim.
a Few months back I picked up a tikka CTR in 308. I own a few really nice fire-breathing customs and love them. Finally shot the Tikka yesterday and just gotta say, it's kinda nice. Low recoil, no super-dooper intense reloading regimen, just bought 60 rounds of factory ammo ( Federal GMM168s) and made some pretty good shots out to around 825 on MOA sized targets. It was swell.... that's all I got ta say about that.
I would have to say you are all correct Put one together a few years back for my wife to take to Namibia she killed everything from eland on down with it from 75yds to 435yds all with a 165 gameking running about 2700fps Impressive woman and impressive

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.