308 win still worth having

.308 is enough gun for many species. Have taken many big game up to moose with it.

Last edited:
The 308 is in my stable just for shooting while my other barrels cool. I can just dump rounds down range without the worry of barrel life. I shoot to 1000 yards with 178s sure the wind pushes it around more. But it's still a very capable cartridge. I will always have a couple 308s in the safe.

Relieved to hear that. The 308 cartridge is probably the most efficient at delivering bullet energy per grain of powder. The 30-06 comes close.
I agree with that I've owned a 30-06 as well and loaded for it and with the same bullet and barrel length I was only getting 95 to 100 fps faster out of my 30-06 I had I ended up selling it and buying a 300 wm. I still like the 30-06 and wouldn't mind having another one but I like my 308s better

I keep hearing that the .308 and .30-06 are obsolete. I work at an outdoor retailer. A large part of our ammunition shelf space is .308, .30-06, and 6.5 CM.

I do not think we are in fear of losing the .308 anytime soon.

It is not a barrel burner so rifles will not "wear out". Average hunter maybe fires 5 rounds a year if they even do hit the range to check their zero.

The average hunter is not going to some custom rifle with a custom chamber that they need to hand load for.

I see hunters all the time shopping for the same ammo they have been using for years. They either get mad when the familiar green box is not on the shelf or they are content with just grabbing another brand with the same weight. "A 150 grain from these guys is the same as a 150 grain from these other guys right? No need to hit the range. It will shoot the same." No changing their mind when you suggest they go shoot it to confirm.

Might be the same with 6.5 CM in a dozen years or so.

Had a heavy varmint .308 for sale. It didn't move so I retrieved it, scoped it and took it out today.
These are groups shot at 100y.
I'm just going to keep it.
IMG_9233.jpeg
IMG_9234.jpeg