308 win still worth having

Worth having? Absolutely!

That said, if he's spending money there are better cartridges for long range purely based on ballistics.

Because he's looking at hunting with it I'd go no smaller than a 6.5 manbun, and would actually be looking at choices based on the ballistics. The 7mm high BC bullets out of a .280AI would probably be what I would work around. High volume and high recoil don't go together well. It's going to be a little compromise unless money goes towards recoil management. ( brake & earpro, or a suppressor)
The 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, 7 WSM, and various other similar performing cartridges should be the focus.

I was reading this thread and couldn't find a better place to ask my question. I hope i didn't de-rail your thread. A buddy of mine just contacted me yesterday about the best caliber for going on a 3 day mountain shooting class. All the shooting will be done in hunting scenarios. The class is said to bring 250-300 rounds. His only hunting rifle is a 300 Win Mag, Savage with a HS Precision heavy barrel rifle and a blue diamond Huskma scope probably 11 lbs. His question was should he buy a 308 for the his class? The range is from 200-1000 yards. My first comment was why not just give in and buy a 6.5 Creedmore or a 6.5 PRC. I have had 2 very accurate 308. One was a Remington 308 with a 26" barrel and the HS PRECISION stock and the other was a Savage 308 ftr rifle. I used both in ftr the Savage was far superior because it was made for that type of shooting. I know how accurate the round is but with that much shooting and across canyons and the recoil and lack of bc in the 308. It's not like he will have a customer chamber for a 200 hybrid or 215 with a 32" barrel in ftr. He only would spend $1300.00 on a new rifle did I steer him in the right direction. The rifle needs to be a traditional hunting rifle that he can use to hunt deer with. My recommendation was a Bergara or a Savage. For the scope he will just use his Huskma scope on the new rifle.
Thanks for all the advice.
Jason
If the 300 is his "1" hunting rifle, then I would take it to the class. I don't see any benefit in taking a new setup to learn with and then have to adapt what he learns to a different rifle. I would learn with the one I was going to use, then, if/when I bought a new setup, I would learn to use it from previous experience. Just my opinion

Hello all like the title says is the 308 win still worth having for long range hunting I my self do not hear anyone using one any more.i have two as of right now one with 20 inch barrel and one with 24 inch barrel.ive been kicking the idea a round of rebarreling one to 6.5x47 but just can't seem to talk my self into it yet.but anyways with all the calibers out now adays and all the different bullets with high bc and all there's not alot of talk about 308 anymore.but for some reason I just keep on loving that old caliber for some reason I guess mostly to it being the first caliber I reloaded for and the first rifle I ever bought new was chamber in it as well and I've hunted and taken alot of deer with it as well..if any of yall are still a firm believer in the 308 and still hunt long range with it.what are some of yalls rifle set ups and what is your longest shots harvesting an animal? And maybe what your load was...I'm really thanking about building a semi custom out of my remington 700 with a 22 or 26 inch barrel but I'm not sure what the optimal barrel length is on 308 for bullets from 152s to 185s so any info on that would be appreciated as well.thanks in advance
If you truly like your two rifles, then why mess with them ?
Build something new from scratch or pick up a project rifle and start your customizations.
It's a lot of fun and there are so many, many options to choose from these days.
The hard part maybe be deciding what you want to build.
What is the end result you want?

If you want to just get it done, the 308 is it. not fancy, just effective. Its my go to for serious hunting. Just look how many new cartridges have a 308 bolt face. that should say something, yes?

The 308 was my first cartridge I shot at and in 1,000yd matches, and then it was the Palma 800, 900, 1,000 yard round. Not to mention for many years, it was my Nat'l Match 200, 300, and 600 yard round. With the right bullets and in trained hands, it is a very capable round. Are there calibers and cartridges that have higher BC's, velocity, energy and less drop at similar distances? You bet! BUT, there are very few with such a history of usage, success and the ability to easily tune a wide variety of loads into tack drivers.

Personally with the right bullet for the game and conditions, I can push my 308's to 800 yards on varied game. Similar to my 30-06's.

Thanks everyone for your input.its nice to see how many people still have 308s and still use them.i know I will never get rid if mine.even though the two I have a factory made rifles with trigger work and stock and bedding done they both shoot great one is a savage and I'm tinkering with it now trying to find a stock for it but bottom bolt release savage rifles I've learned are hard to find stocks for but anyway I do really like the 308 and like many on here I thank its good up to elk size game at the right yards with the right bullet

Another nice thing about the .308 is how agreeable it is to the reloader. A lot of cartridges you have to screw around a fair bit to find the load they like (my most notable experience of that has been with the 220 swift). That's fun in itself sometimes but in my experience the boring old .308 (and 270 Winchester with it for some reason) almost require some effort to find a load they DON'T like! They digest just about anything and shoot it acceptably well. Just easy to get along with and do what is needed of them handily with no fuss.

This is almost always my first recommendation for a first rifle. The versatility and drama-free nature of the cartridge is IMO second to none. The only issue is that it isn't new and sexy. If they called it a 7.62 creedmoor/WSM/RSAUM/Etc, it would magically outperform a 50 BMG.

Fads come and go.... the 308 has stood the test of time for good reason.
Second the drama free part…people prefer warp speed and the bonded or monometal bullets required to ensure adequate penetration at said velocity. The thought of a cartridge that can reliably drill through a moose with cheap heavy soft points at moderate velocity that still shoots much "flatter" than people believe possible at the ranges 95% of game animals are taken at is abhorrent to many….

I have come to the conclusion that for me the .308 is going to stay as my primary hunting rifle. I don't do long range, at least past 450 yards, because where I like I just don't enjoy that type of hunting. Are there better calibers? Absolutely. Are there more versatile ones though? Maybe not.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned from covid crisis is that I want a rifle that has flexibility and readily available components.

I have an old Savage 99 in .308 Win and a Remington 722 in .308 Win. I won't be getting rid of either one of them. I bought a new barrel for the Remington and am looking at a new stock. But it will still remain a .308 Win. There will always be room for one in the safe.
Anyone following me for any time will know I talk up our old Savage 99 in 308. If we'd a put a notch in the stock for every deer it has killed, we'd have no stock left. I wouldn't try an 800 yard shot with it, but anything under 300 yards is going to be dead. With proper optics and some good loads, the 308 is very good out to the long ranges also. We have 3 of them now in the family.

I have an old Savage 99 in .308 Win and a Remington 722 in .308 Win. I won't be getting rid of either one of them. I bought a new barrel for the Remington and am looking at a new stock. But it will still remain a .308 Win. There will always be room for one in the safe.
I presently own four .308 Win. rifles. Everything from two tactical rifles to a 7400 Rem and a Ruger American. Love 'em all. I have a lot of other calibers as well but I've been hunting with a .308 since I was 20 years old, and I'm 74 now and still goin' strong!!! Gotta love it!

I just put together a 308Win for long range training.
The last few years my primary centerfire trainer has been a 223Rem. It's been huge for my wind calling.
I realized after checking my 300WM's cold bore zero last fall that the 223 allowed me to be a little lackadaisical with recoil management.
I feel like my 223's effective training range is limited to about 600yds.
The 308 is giving me good training at longer ranges, good recoil to keep me honest, longer barrel life than a 6.5 Creedmoor plus I'm excited to use it for mule deer and antelope this season.
I can't believe it took me so long to add a dedicated long range 308 to the quiver.