308 win still worth having

I will never be without one, or three, .308's. I have several calibers in the safe, but love the .308. Shoot F/TR at 600 and 1000 with one, hunt with one on a regular basis. I have a 6.5x47 and love it. I would say build one, you won't regret it. But I can't bring myself to re-barrel a .308 to another caliber. Maybe it's just me.

Hello all like the title says is the 308 win still worth having for long range hunting I my self do not hear anyone using one any more.i have two as of right now one with 20 inch barrel and one with 24 inch barrel.ive been kicking the idea a round of rebarreling one to 6.5x47 but just can't seem to talk my self into it yet.but anyways with all the calibers out now adays and all the different bullets with high bc and all there's not alot of talk about 308 anymore.but for some reason I just keep on loving that old caliber for some reason I guess mostly to it being the first caliber I reloaded for and the first rifle I ever bought new was chamber in it as well and I've hunted and taken alot of deer with it as well..if any of yall are still a firm believer in the 308 and still hunt long range with it.what are some of yalls rifle set ups and what is your longest shots harvesting an animal? And maybe what your load was...I'm really thanking about building a semi custom out of my remington 700 with a 22 or 26 inch barrel but I'm not sure what the optimal barrel length is on 308 for bullets from 152s to 185s so any info on that would be appreciated as well.thanks in advance
The .308 is a fine cartridge all around. There's not an animal in North America that haven't been taken with it. I still have a couple. It will be around as long as mankind is I believe. I think it's just missing the hot rod or cool kid on the block appeal. Heck we all loose that over time doesn't mean we're any less than before 😉. I've personally never taken anything beyond about 350 yards with it but that's a pretty good poke in my home state NY. With the right bullet I'd trust it as far as I'm capable of comfortably shooting. I wouldn't expect it to handle a quartering frontal shot to an elk shoulder at 600 yards like my 338 edge, I'd just let him turn broadside instead. You'll be able to find 308 ammo probably anywhere in the world if you needed to.

It will always be a relevant cartridge, but I understand "new cartridge fever". If you have 2 of them, and you want something new, there are so many great options out there. Down to the 22-250, any of the creedmoors (22,25,6mm,6.5), you can go up to 338 Federal, or 358 win, or even 375 raptor with nothing but a barrel swap. So many great options out there. Also, you can keep your .308 and shoot 110gr varmint bullets for coyotes, or 180gr bullets for elk, and cover everything in between with proper bullet selection. It is very versatile, light recoil, excellent ammo availability, and spectacular barrel life. So much to love there..

HaHaHa! Oh.... the long forgotten 308!
Thank You SamuelBerryHill308 for starting this topic!!!
Funny how you never hear much talk about em anymore... but everyone still keeps one or more handy and ready in case of need!!
It's offspring were all great cartridges but could never completely knock it out of the game.
I'll bet (like me) everyone always looked for the next best thing but really couldn't get themselves to get rid of that old trusty 308...Just in case!!
It's still a great one! Still killing game, still shooting competitively and still keeping barrel companies alive and well!!
You just gotta love em!!

HaHaHa! Oh.... the long forgotten 308!
Thank You SamuelBerryHill308 for starting this topic!!!
Funny how you never hear much talk about em anymore... but everyone still keeps one or more handy and ready in case of need!!
It's offspring were all great cartridges but could never completely knock it out of the game.
I'll bet (like me) everyone always looked for the next best thing but really couldn't get themselves to get rid of that old trusty 308...Just in case!!
It's still a great one! Still killing game, still shooting competitively and still keeping barrel companies alive and well!!
You just gotta love em!!
Your welcome.ive just been wondering who all still thanks is a really good cartridge for most any game with in 500 or 600 yards andcwho all still use one.because like I said you never here it being talked about

I was reading this thread and couldn't find a better place to ask my question. I hope i didn't de-rail your thread. A buddy of mine just contacted me yesterday about the best caliber for going on a 3 day mountain shooting class. All the shooting will be done in hunting scenarios. The class is said to bring 250-300 rounds. His only hunting rifle is a 300 Win Mag, Savage with a HS Precision heavy barrel rifle and a blue diamond Huskma scope probably 11 lbs. His question was should he buy a 308 for the his class? The range is from 200-1000 yards. My first comment was why not just give in and buy a 6.5 Creedmore or a 6.5 PRC. I have had 2 very accurate 308. One was a Remington 308 with a 26" barrel and the HS PRECISION stock and the other was a Savage 308 ftr rifle. I used both in ftr the Savage was far superior because it was made for that type of shooting. I know how accurate the round is but with that much shooting and across canyons and the recoil and lack of bc in the 308. It's not like he will have a customer chamber for a 200 hybrid or 215 with a 32" barrel in ftr. He only would spend $1300.00 on a new rifle did I steer him in the right direction. The rifle needs to be a traditional hunting rifle that he can use to hunt deer with. My recommendation was a Bergara or a Savage. For the scope he will just use his Huskma scope on the new rifle.
Thanks for all the advice.
Jason

If it brings a smile to your face still, then keep it. The new cartridges don't make the 308 less effective than it used to be, and the new bullets can help it stretch out farther than ever.

Personally, if one was going to start fresh with their first rifle or just wanted another, I wouldn't recommend a 308. Some of the new calibers do more with less recoil, or can reach way out there without a lot more recoil... but certainly nothing wrong with what you've got!

I'm building a 18" barreled 308 on a Kelbly action right now, Bix n Andy trigger, Grayboe Trekker stock, Grayboe M5 Hunter bottom metal, Preferred Barrel Blank barrels, this will also have a 7-08 22" switch barrel. There ya go! Worth having to me. Cheap brass, easy to load, and will do anything I need it to out to 500-600 yards. Some of the lightweight Monos (hammers) loaded in the short barrel will be money!! 308 is still a KING in my book.

Hello all like the title says is the 308 win still worth having for long range hunting I my self do not hear anyone using one any more.i have two as of right now one with 20 inch barrel and one with 24 inch barrel.ive been kicking the idea a round of rebarreling one to 6.5x47 but just can't seem to talk my self into it yet.but anyways with all the calibers out now adays and all the different bullets with high bc and all there's not alot of talk about 308 anymore.but for some reason I just keep on loving that old caliber for some reason I guess mostly to it being the first caliber I reloaded for and the first rifle I ever bought new was chamber in it as well and I've hunted and taken alot of deer with it as well..if any of yall are still a firm believer in the 308 and still hunt long range with it.what are some of yalls rifle set ups and what is your longest shots harvesting an animal? And maybe what your load was...I'm really thanking about building a semi custom out of my remington 700 with a 22 or 26 inch barrel but I'm not sure what the optimal barrel length is on 308 for bullets from 152s to 185s so any info on that would be appreciated as well.thanks in advance
I think the cartridge has plenty of merit so I bought a Wilson Super Sniper AR-10 in .308 WIN. .25 MOA accuracy. Crazy for a semi auto.

I too have had a 308 rifle for hunting for many, many years. I was smiten by the the 308 back in 69-70 when in the Army. I was in a special unit and we practiced and qualified at 900 meters. Scoped M-14 7.62X51 caliber 308. 900 meters in yards is 984.252. Of course we were shooting match grade ammo with projectiles that are heavyer than the standard 150 grain bullet. They did the job on the so called game we were shooting. I would keep them if I were you.