308 Win Sierra 165 Gameking BTSP?

My shots will all be under 200 yards and probably under 100 yards. I am looking for a bullet that expands more rapidly than a Hornady Interlok and Remington Corelok.

Would you all say this bullet does? Sounds like it because the exits I've been getting are about the size of a penny and not close to a half dollar.

Thanks all
Steve
Could also be a little better weight retention. Sometimes a smaller exit is because that's all that's left of the bullet after passing through. That's my observation on the couple of deer I shot with the Hornady SST, expansion was quick, with not much coming out the other side . The Gameking does expand quickly, even on a smaller animal (coyote), so I don't think there's any problem from that

VLD Pilot recommended the 150 GameKing and I was referencing that. As I've not seen anything other the the 165 loaded in factory form.

For shots under 200 yards and most being inside 100 yards, 150gr bullet in a 308 Win is the trick!

cynicrit

I understand that! They are recommending 150 grain GameKings instead.

As post #4 states I need factory ammo, and I would be interested in 150's. As you mentioned I have only found the 165's loaded by Federal.

Thanks
Steve

cynicrit

As post #4 states I need factory ammo, and I would be interested in 150's. As you mentioned I have only found the 165's loaded by Federal.

Thanks
Steve

The 150gr, 165gr and the 180gr will all work perfectly fine from 50 yards to 200 yards.

The 180gr is going a little slower but os morenthan enough and the 150gr will be going faster, also more than enough. The 165gr is right in between.

I recommend you buy them all and see which one groups better and go with that one. Regardless a 100 or 200 yard shot you still need good accuracy. I've seen some factory ammo group sub moa and some will open up 6 to 8 inches at 100 ydss. With good shot placement and good accuracy all 3 bullets will do the job.

cynicrit

Thanks
Steve
Sorry I'm not necessarily recommending it over any other weight. Only suggesting that at close ranges, the heavier bullets on deer aren't needed. They'll work every bit as well. No doubt.

cynicrit

Thanks
Steve
I'd also suggest that the 308 win factory ammo selection may be the biggest selection of all factory ammo. I'm sure you can find a great 150 grain innerbond stye bullet made by other bullet companies. BC isn't a factor so there are alot of flatbase bullets with the inner design as the game king minus the boat tail.

I'd also suggest that the 308 win factory ammo selection may be the biggest selection of all factory ammo. I'm sure you can find a great 150 grain innerbond stye bullet made by other bullet companies. BC isn't a factor so there are alot of flatbase bullets with the inner design as the game king minus the boat tail.

VLD is right, for the distance you'll be shooting at you can go with most 308 options out there. Federal Fusion is a good choice as well, Remingtor core lokt's are also an inexpensive choice and work great at 200 yds or less. Take your pick.

Again, try them out first and see which groups best. I woukd still try to get at least moa accuracy.

I've had really good luck with the 168 grain Hornady A-Max in my .308. Both hogs and whitetail... usually it don't exit but never had anything take a step in either direction...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.