308 win rechamber question

RCMSTER

I have recently acquired a winchester model 70. It has a 26" heavy stainless barrel with a H-S precision stock with the full bedding block. I was told winchester had Wilson manufacture the barrels for this rifle. It has had minimal rounds or possibly no rounds put through it. Actually, it was one of those "whoops" acquisitions by putting a bid in on this rifle without really thinking it through. Anyway, its chambered in 308 Winchester. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to have it rechambered to something like a 300 rcm, which I already have, or perhaps a 300 wsm. Something a little more exciting anyway. I don't really have a purpose in doing so, other than I just want too. I don't really shoot long range, as in past about 500 yards. I don't have the skills to do so, first off. Eyesight isn't what it used to be 35 years ago. I'm not blind by any means, but 35 years ago, I could shoot 1" groups @ a hundred with a peep sighted remington 760 pump rifle, but alas, them days are way long gone. Just interested in people's opinions that are more knowledgeable and skilled than I am. Thanks in advance.

Look into modern bullets and powders and brass for the .308 Win and it might rejuvenate your interest in it. It doesn't have to remain a slow old boring workhorse of the past, modern technology has brought it back to the limelight.

Checkem both out and I can give you some suggestions, I've literally just been fiddling with my 308 and high bc bullets. It's surprisingly efficient with the big 30s

Look into modern bullets and powders and brass for the .308 Win and it might rejuvenate your interest in it. It doesn't have to remain a slow old boring workhorse of the past, modern technology has brought it back to the limelight.

Well mudrunner, if it's a slow, old boring workhorse, it would be a good fit for me. I'm getting old, my wife says I'm kinda boring, I don't move near as fast as before I retired from the army, but I still work at the factory I've been at for the last 25 years. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.