308 win powder ?

hubee_7j

I'm just starting to reload and I'm shootin a 308 win and the rifle seems to like the 168gr A max factory loads so I'll prolly try that bullet just dnt knw wher to start with powder. Any opinions woukd be great. Thanks!

Try Hodgdon Varget, Alliant Reloader 15, and IMR 4064. I have never used Vitihitori (spelling) so I can't suggest any of that powder. Another would be Winchester 786. You will have to play around. These are the most common powders used for that caliber. Try Federal 210 and CCI BR2 or CCI 200(if you can find them), also Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Tank

Try Hodgdon Varget, Alliant Reloader 15, and IMR 4064. I have never used Vitihitori (spelling) so I can't suggest any of that powder. Another would be Winchester 786. You will have to play around. These are the most common powders used for that caliber. Try Federal 210 and CCI BR2 or CCI 200(if you can find them), also Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Tank

All good choices. I've always heard that if your 308 doesn't like Varget and IMR 4064, there's something wrong with your gun.

What is known in the shooters world as the "National Match 308" load is 41.5grs of IMR 4895 using a 168gr smk. . . . . It's called that for a good reason.

In my experience, .308 Win isn't a finicky cartridge with respect to powders. I've shot Varget, IMR4064, Re 15, H335, BL-C(2), and AA2520 all with good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.