308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor?

Jeebes

Im torn on my next build which will mostly be for my girlfriend to shoot deer with out to 5-700 yards. Chose these two cartridges for their mild recoil and long range capabilities. 30 cal I have bullet, I shoot a 300 WSM. Creedmoor I would have another bullet to buy. But does the Creedmoor have an edge over the 308? Was just loosing for more opinions on what others had to say.

Both are great. There are a lot more 308's out there than 6.5 CM's. I like them both. I bought my wife a Savage Lady Hunter in 6.5 CM last year, she loves it. Dont think you could go wrong with either.:)

I would go for the 6.5 creedmoor.

I shoot my creed next to my brothers 308, his 168 Amax trajectories do not match the 123 sst i shoot out of mine.

Much more efficient in my opinion.

If your concerned about reloading component availability, go with the 308.1

I have both and if it is for the lady, then it would be for the Creed. Hornady 140 grain factory loads out of my Savage will print 1/2 to 5/8 inch groups at 100 yards. Also, the recoil is very mild.

You can also do a search on this topic since there are a couple of long threads recently pertaining to this very subject.

I don't know if you are open to other options but, I wouldn't overlook the versatile 7mm-08. If you reload, this caliber has an abundant bullet selection (and weights) and brass is readily available, albeit expensive if Remington and Winchester brass is in short supply. If not, there are several manufactures that provide decent ammo.

Definitely the 6.5 cm. Has better down range performance than the 308 and the 25-06. Inherently a very accurate round with light recoil. The high b.c of the 6.5mm pill make it have more energy and less drop at longer ranges.

I am a died in the wool 25-06 for deer person. BUT! When you throw in over 600 yards to the mix I would choose the 6.5 with 140 gr high coefficient bullets. With the 115-20 gr bullets in the 25-06 they just loose too much past 600 yards from my experience for reliable killing effect on deer. In shooting my 6.5x55 with 140 Sierra Game Kings at 2850 fps muzzle it has better terminal effects past 500 yards and the drop and wind dope is less than the 25-06. Plus if your friend is going to be shooting at these long ranges she is going to have to practice A LOT. The barrel on a 6.5 C will last a lot longer than a 25-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.