.308 win or 300BO?

TC338

Thinking about a handy bolt action rifle for tree stand hunting. Shots from the stand will be 75 yards or less. I'm planning on running subsonics in either chambering. My issue comes with entering and exiting the stand. The opportunity for taking much longer shots presents itself quite often so that has me leaning towards the .308 where I could carry an extra mag with supersonic loads. What would you guys who hunt suppressed recommend.

My son and I both hunt suppressed now. We suppress gas guns chambered for supersonic .308 only.

I also hunt with an 18" barreled 6.5CM bolt gun.

My son does have a 300BO but he doesn't hunt with it due to a lack of power that would ensure a humane kill.

We have tried loading sub-sonic 220gn Nosler round nose expanding .308 cal. slugs and messing around shooting milk jugs full of water was showing a lack of expansion and penetration when loaded sub-sonic.

With a bolt gun, the amount of sound would be less than our gas guns and the amount of sound we get from our rifles is easily hearing safe and the echo of the shot coming back at us is minimal.

My recommendation is to load full power 308 loads and sight in with your can in place and enjoy your quiet hunt.

Thinking about a handy bolt action rifle for tree stand hunting. Shots from the stand will be 75 yards or less. I'm planning on running subsonics in either chambering. My issue comes with entering and exiting the stand. The opportunity for taking much longer shots presents itself quite often so that has me leaning towards the .308 where I could carry an extra mag with supersonic loads. What would you guys who hunt suppressed recommend.
If your longer shots are beyond 150 or so, I wouldn't choose the BLK. But it sure is nice with subs. Using Titegroup mine is Hollywood quite.

The thing is, they are redundant. They are both .30, shooting the same bullets below the same velocity threshold. There is no benefit to the .308 over the 300 blackout when they are both subsonic, the load is identical.

Check out the .375 raptor. It may be more of what you're looking for, if you want to have a real quiet 300y capable deer killer.

Hecouldgoalltheway nailed it. 30 cal rounds traveling at subsonic velocity don't care what cartridge put them in motion, performance will be the same. I have 308win and 300blk suppressed, and regularly shoot sub and super in both offerings. 300blk is where it's at in my opinion. So easy to switch back and forth from 200gr subs/120gr Barnes. Once you have the offset between the two figures out it's an easy switch back and forth. Try 120gr Barnes from the 300blk for a hunting round. They offer better terminal performance over the subs but still extremely quite and light recoil if compared to a 308win.

If you are dead set on hunting with a subsonic round, you could take a look into offerings by Discreet Ballistics. I don't have hands-on experience with it but it looks like they have a pretty effective subsonic round that provides reliable expansion. I think they even have it in both 300 BLK and .308.

You could also make subsonic 30-30 or 44mag out of a mares leg or just a carbine lever gun. Very handy and almost as fast cycling as any semi-auto.

You could also make subsonic 30-30 or 44mag out of a mares leg or just a carbine lever gun. Very handy and almost as fast cycling as any semi-auto.
That's also a good idea, but I already have a bolt gun set up as a switch barrel. Just considering chambering options for my next barrel.

I use this scope on several 300BLK and a 7.62x39. It's reticle has drops for both super and subsonic. Actually works very well. The Chevron gives a fine aiming point and on 1X with chevron lit, it works like a red dot with both eyes open. Zoom to 6X for more precise work.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x24mm-sfp-scope-w-acss-300blk-7-62x39-reticle?quantity=1

DSC05934.JPGDSC05935.JPGDSC05936.JPG