.308 win or 300BO?

TC338

Thinking about a handy bolt action rifle for tree stand hunting. Shots from the stand will be 75 yards or less. I’m planning on running subsonics in either chambering. My issue comes with entering and exiting the stand. The opportunity for taking much longer shots presents itself quite often so that has me leaning towards the .308 where I could carry an extra mag with supersonic loads. What would you guys who hunt suppressed recommend.

mtwarych

My son and I both hunt suppressed now. We suppress gas guns chambered for supersonic .308 only.

I also hunt with an 18" barreled 6.5CM bolt gun.

My son does have a 300BO but he doesn't hunt with it due to a lack of power that would ensure a humane kill.

We have tried loading sub-sonic 220gn Nosler round nose expanding .308 cal. slugs and messing around shooting milk jugs full of water was showing a lack of expansion and penetration when loaded sub-sonic.

With a bolt gun, the amount of sound would be less than our gas guns and the amount of sound we get from our rifles is easily hearing safe and the echo of the shot coming back at us is minimal.

My recommendation is to load full power 308 loads and sight in with your can in place and enjoy your quiet hunt.

Benman73

Thinking about a handy bolt action rifle for tree stand hunting. Shots from the stand will be 75 yards or less. I’m planning on running subsonics in either chambering. My issue comes with entering and exiting the stand. The opportunity for taking much longer shots presents itself quite often so that has me leaning towards the .308 where I could carry an extra mag with supersonic loads. What would you guys who hunt suppressed recommend.
If your longer shots are beyond 150 or so, I wouldn’t choose the BLK. But it sure is nice with subs. Using Titegroup mine is Hollywood quite.

Hecouldgoalltheway

LRH Team Member
The thing is, they are redundant. They are both .30, shooting the same bullets below the same velocity threshold. There is no benefit to the .308 over the 300 blackout when they are both subsonic, the load is identical.

Check out the .375 raptor. It may be more of what you're looking for, if you want to have a real quiet 300y capable deer killer.