308 win moose?

zr600

Hi all, my wife drew a any moose tag for ND. She has a 308 win. What do you think for a bullet I reload, so do you guys think a 165gamechanger or 168 Berger vld would be good or should I go more like a Barnes ttsx, or Nosler accubond or partition?

I drew a tag in 2010, and I had a .308 with a 20" tube. I used a 168 grain nosler ballistic tip, and it worked fine. Muzzle velocity was 2675, shot the bull at 175 yards through the mid shoulder, took two steps and went down. Bullet was under the hide on the off side. He did lay there with his head up, I put another one through his neck to finish him, though it wasn't needed, his lungs were destroyed, and it was within 10 seconds of the first shot. Ballistic tips are pretty fragile bullets, similar to Bergers in my experience, I wouldn't be afraid to use any of the ones listed, though if you were going to suffer the loss of bc in trade for a mono bullet, I wouldn't waste it on a Barnes, use a hammer.

Another variable that may come into play, how far would she take a shot on a moose with her .308, and what is the twist rate? That could dictate which bullet would be the best choice as well.

I'm not sure on the twist rate I want to say 1:10 or 1:11. It's a factory 10 savage. I'm thinking it will be under 200 yards but want to prepare her for 300 at the max. We will have to shoot this summer a lot to prepare.

First choice would be 165 gr Nosler Partition.
Second choice would be 165 gr Nosler Accubond.
Third choice would be 150 gr Barnes TSX.

I'm all for one of the Hammer bullets, too, if cost isn't a show-stopper for you. It's good to have so many great options.

The goal has to be penetration on something so big. And if a bone is hit, you want the bullet to "win" that encounter.

Moose are actually pretty easy to kill. With a .308, I'd be looking for a true broadside and I'd go right behind the shoulder. The vital zone is enormous. If you are close, and using a tough bullet, you could attempt quartering shots, but the shoulder is pretty stout on those critters. I like the TTSX a ton, but in the .308, it's probably a bit on the slow side for great expansion. A partition or even better a Swift A-frame would also be OK, if you can get them to shoot.

My buddies use .308 on eland in Africa with zero hesitation, and they're tougher to kill and bigger than a moose.

First choice would be 165 gr Nosler Partition.
Second choice would be 165 gr Nosler Accubond.
Third choice would be 150 gr Barnes TSX.

I'm all for one of the Hammer bullets, too, if cost isn't a show-stopper for you. It's good to have so many great options.

The goal has to be penetration on something so big. And if a bone is hit, you want the bullet to "win" that encounter.
X-2 on the Hammer