308 Win Long Range Hunting Loads

ReachOutNTouchSomething

Almost finished buildling my Remington 700 308win im just waiting on the scope now, this is going to be my all purpose long range gun. From coyotes and groundhogs to deer. I plan on breaking it in with Federal or Hornady 175 or 178 match rounds and then start loading for it when my scope comes in the bullets that have my interest are: Begrer 185, Hornady BTHP 178, Lapua Scenar 155, Hornady AMAX 178 & 208. The barrel is a Remington Varmint contour 26" with a 1:12 twist. For powders i think im going to stick to R-15 and Varget, any suggestions? I plan to take this gun close to 1k on steel also

The 168gr berger hybrid with a .519bc would be a good one to look into for the 308. That is the bullet i'm using in my 308 1-12 twist with good results. I am still working on loads for it but am working with Varget, Power Pro 2000, and CFE223 by Hodgdon. So far I only used Varget and found a couple of solid groups. I have loads with the other powders also, just haven't had time to check them out. Too many other rifles that I'm playing with right now. I will try and get those other loads tested next week and let you know how they work out.

I have shot the 168 a-max and bergers out of my custom cz550 and it absolutley loves them out to 1000. At 600 yards if your not driving tacks it all on you~!! I have been tempted to move up to the heavier bullets but for shooting steel and fur targets out to 600 there isn't alot of need. If I am gonna stretch it out there further the ole 338 lapua gets to come out of the safe and then the fun really starts.

My rifle will consistantly shoot bugholes at 100 and it isn't uncommon to shoot ragged one hole groups of five if I am doing my part.

The 168gr berger hybrid with a .519bc would be a good one to look into for the 308. That is the bullet i'm using in my 308 1-12 twist with good results. I am still working on loads for it but am working with Varget, Power Pro 2000, and CFE223 by Hodgdon. So far I only used Varget and found a couple of solid groups. I have loads with the other powders also, just haven't had time to check them out. Too many other rifles that I'm playing with right now. I will try and get those other loads tested next week and let you know how they work out.
i love the specs of the 168 hybrid but i heard they have to be seated over max length and fed single shot style for them to be accurate, i'd like to be able to lead them to fit in the mag. With the .519 BC it shouldnt have the stability issues that the 168 SMK has past 800

With the hybrid 168 you shouldn't have to seat them so you have to run it as a single shot platform. That design allows you the flexability to seat them at you mag length. I would try them and see what happens you may supprise yourself.. I do run my 308 as a single feed but that is just personal preference.. With the 168 VLD or hunting bullet that would probably be the case.

With the hybrid 168 you shouldn't have to seat them so you have to run it as a single shot platform. That design allows you the flexability to seat them at you mag length. I would try them and see what happens you may supprise yourself.. I do run my 308 as a single feed but that is just personal preference.. With the 168 VLD or hunting bullet that would probably be the case.
The hybrid is added to the list, anyone have experience with the 155 scenars in a 1:12 twist? With a .510 BC and being able to pushing them over 2900 it seems like they take the 308 into a new league

I used the 155 Lapua's out of a 10 twist and haven't tried them in my 12 twist. I quit using them for everyone that I talked to about them said the jackets are too thick and wouldn't open up on game. I can't remember for sure but I think they shot good out of my factory savage rifle. If you could get them shooting good they would probably make a nice groundhog and coyotes bullet, but I would shy away from using them on deer.. I think the 308 is a very easy round to load for just about and just about any bullet powder combo would work as long as you had the proper twist. As far as speeds go you should be able to get around 3000 fps out of them but definitely get you in the 2900-2950 ballpark.. I hope this helps..

308 is fine for steel if you want to have 1/2 the hit probability of a big 338 or 6.5 or 6. I just dont like the LR word used in conjuction with 308. The 308 is NOT a 1k deer gun and never will be. Take this with a grain of salt tho. I live in an extremely windy area where most of my shots are 500+. Thats not 308 land.

308 is fine for steel if you want to have 1/2 the hit probability of a big 338 or 6.5 or 6. I just dont like the LR word used in conjuction with 308. The 308 is NOT a 1k deer gun and never will be. Take this with a grain of salt tho. I live in an extremely windy area where most of my shots are 500+. Thats not 308 land.
Me and my hunting partner are going to be getting a Savage 338 Lapua or a defensive edge 338 (MY CHOICE HANDS DOWN) this spring, the 308 is going to be built for long range steel and for mudium to long range hunting, then the 338 will cover anything beyond the 308's range

Me and my hunting partner are going to be getting a Savage 338 Lapua or a defensive edge 338 (MY CHOICE HANDS DOWN) this spring, the 308 is going to be built for long range steel and for mudium to long range hunting, then the 338 will cover anything beyond the 308's range
Good idea. I have a bunch of midrange guns we back up with a 338. Same idea. As soon as you get the 338 the 308 barrel will last forever. Guns you dont shoot the barrel lasts forever lol.

Good idea. I have a bunch of midrange guns we back up with a 338. Same idea. As soon as you get the 338 the 308 barrel will last forever. Guns you dont shoot the barrel lasts forever lol.
hahah im hoping i shoot to compete with the 338 on steel at our range out to 1200... i dont think its going to happen lol

I shoot the Hybrid 168 also. I hunt with Savageshtr. I have a load in my 18" barrel using Power Pro 2000MR. It produces .5" at 100yds with an avg speed of 2571fps. I hit a doe running this year and the Berger worked good. I highly suggest this bullet for the .308 as you can push it hard enough to be effective to 850yds for deer. As far as steel and paper, just shoot it and test your skills as far as you think you can handle.

Tank

Same here I have a .223, 308, 6.5x47, 300 wsm, and a 338 Lapua. I think I have everything covered from zero to as far as one dares to shoot. The 308 is nice for ease and cost per round versus the 338 and 300. I do like when I hit our steel at 1000 it just about knocks it off the stand with the 338. Liltank and I have had to repair the stand at least once from a shooting session. We also had to stop shooting and drive over and set it back up after it had fallen over from the 5/8"x12"x24" steel plate swinging after consecutive impacts in a row.. I don't really care what I shoot as long as I get to pull the trigger on something every now and then..

Last edited:
I shoot the Hybrid 168 also. I hunt with Savageshtr. I have a load in my 18" barrel using Power Pro 2000MR. It produces .5" at 100yds with an avg speed of 2571fps. I hit a doe running this year and the Berger worked good. I highly suggest this bullet for the .308 as you can push it hard enough to be effective to 850yds for deer. As far as steel and paper, just shoot it and test your skills as far as you think you can handle.

Tank
what is your seating depth? is your coal over 2.810 to run in a magazine?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.