.308 win loads with Federal 215 Primers

creedmoorshooter21

As the title states, I am looking for advice as to whether loading 308 with magnum primers is a good idea or not. All advice will be greatly appreciated. I will be loading for a 26" barrel with a 1 in 10" twist, either 168 or 175gr Sierra MK

Thanks in advance,
Devin

I have done both LR and LRM primers in 308, not with the bullets you are specifying, with no noticeable change, except when approaching max load with a very slow burning powder, I think ignition was more complete than with LR primers. Probably someone here has a different opinion, but that's my experience.

I loaded most of my 308's with either 150 gr or 165 gr boattail bullets, and in most instances using either Varget or IMR 4064, shot in old Rem. 600 Mohawk with 19" bbl, and 1-9 twist.

Rick

I have done both LR and LRM primers in 308, not with the bullets you are specifying, with no noticeable change, except when approaching max load with a very slow burning powder, I think ignition was more complete than with LR primers. Probably someone here has a different opinion, but that's my experience.

I loaded most of my 308's with either 150 gr or 165 gr boattail bullets, and in most instances using either Varget or IMR 4064, shot in old Rem. 600 Mohawk with 19" bbl, and 1-9 twist.

Rick

I appreciate the input. I ask because i was able to pick up 1500 Federal LRM primers cheap and i only have 1 magnum rifle (7mm Rem Mag), and i don't plan on shooting it 1500 times. My 308 on the other hand, i plan on shooting a ton!

in other rounds , 215s gave me higher pressure , higher velocity and higher ES. they are made for weatherby magnum size cases. match shooters generally use the lowest powered reliable primers.

I use them in my 155 grain match load with great success. I found better velocity and better SD and ES numbers with the mag primers over the standard large rifle gold medal match primers.

With most ball powders mag primers are recommended. What ever the powder just start low and work up.

in other rounds , 215s gave me higher pressure , higher velocity and higher ES. they are made for weatherby magnum size cases. match shooters generally use the lowest powered reliable primers.
What he said.

I drop .1
ES is still higher
Pressure is higher because of more powder starting faster (of course).

Since I don't load my 308s anywhere near max, actually pretty minimum I have no issues.

In that realm, works just fine.

If you are not seeking extreme accuracy, thoot'em 'lisabeth, thoot'em

I use them in my 155 grain match load with great success. I found better velocity and better SD and ES numbers with the mag primers over the standard large rifle gold medal match primers.

That surprises me that your getting better ES and SD numbers with the mag primer. What powder are you using? You ever try CCI BR2s or Wolf large rifle primers?

That surprises me that your getting better ES and SD numbers with the mag primer. What powder are you using? You ever try CCI BR2s or Wolf large rifle primers?

I am using 45 grains of IMR 4895. I tried the wolf, fed gold medal match, Winchester and CCI standard large rifle and the mags gave me the best numbers.

I am using 45 grains of IMR 4895. I tried the wolf, fed gold medal match, Winchester and CCI standard large rifle and the mags gave me the best numbers.

Interesting, I would have thought the numbers would have been higher. You never know unless you try i guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.