308 Win Ladder Results

DoubleGobble00

Below are the results from a 250 yard ladder test. I really need more yardage but the shots and velocities are helpful.

308 Win
180 Berger
Lapua Brass new
210M
Varget
Seated to max mag length
250 yards

86fda50f702575a232f855248008e05d.jpg

DoubleG

what power scopes on both ?
as usual low looks good
i am at a mere 2585 with 185's but .34 for 3 shots at 100

This is a hunting rifle. It's a stock savage 10 in McMillan A3 stock. I don't want it to be a single shot, so I started at max mag length.

I'll shoot this gun a at target out to 800 yards but wouldn't plan to hunt with it past 500. I'll use my big guns for hunting long range.

I do wish I could have shot out to 400 today. Everything is too wet and grown up to get that far right now.

Have you tried imr4064? I'm getting single digit es at 2825fps with 168grain btsp in a cz550 varmint. Groups are pretty good also!

42gr is your load.
Look how wide your node is. 41-43gr grouped together.
If ur wanting more velocity I would test 42gr and 44gr and see what you come up with

Last edited:
I wonder if the 45 + grain loads will get warm on fire formed brass I am getting ready to try pretty much the same thing except with win brass and at roughly 2.960 base to tip this length keeps the bearing above the neck shoulder junction and fits the mag pretty sweet in theory

This is a hunting rifle. It's a stock savage 10 in McMillan A3 stock. I don't want it to be a single shot, so I started at max mag length.
What makes you think 'max mag length' is anywhere near best seated depth. It could be the very worst, as your ladder looks horrible.

Consider performing Berger's full seating testing before further ladder testing. Could put you on a better path.

42gr is your load.
Look how wide your node is. 41-43gr grouped together.
If ur wanting more velocity I would test 42gr and 44gr and see what you come up with

Agree completely. The result you found is EXACTLY what a ladder test is supposed to prove out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.