.308 Win. 180gr. Bullet

dbhostler

Buddy of mine has a Howa 1500 and wants to work up a hunting round. The bull bbl is 24" with a 1/10 twist. It groups the factory 175 match rounds very well, so he is thinking a 180gr pill. All the bullet makers make a 180, and Berger a 185 VLD hunting/target bullet. What do you guys load in your 308 Win?
db

For a hunting round in 308 a 185 VLD or 178 Amax is great. If you really wanna stretch it, 208 Amax or 210 VLD with Alliant Power Pro 2000MR powder. I shoot this powder in my match gun (FTR) with 185 Hybrids and get 2800 ftps with no pressure signs in a 28 inch barrel. Accuracy and ES is very good.

Been shooting 180gr Speer with RL-17 @ 2742 fps out of a 22" barrel very accurate.

I'd go with the 185gn hybrid or Juggernaunt with 4064.I say 4064 because I have put alot of time into reading on this same combo to wanting and useing it myself,but not yet.The starting load would be 41gn and bullet long.The 24 inch barrel and 1:10 twist should get around 2550 to 2600 fps.I know it's not fast but you did not say to how fare he will take it.The 2000lr sounds good though.

just keep use posted to what happens and to what you go with.Again I am fixing to try the load said above soon

What I'm waiting on now is for my buddy to choose a couple of bullets to try. I would hope he chooses the Berger VLD and we'll go from there. I believe I used 4064 years ago when I loaded for a 308 Win, but everything has changed. Hope I can send a few downrange, but we're getting late in the year. Thanks all for your help.
db

You might double check your twist rate. I have the same rifle and it is a 1-12". I havent played with
The 180's but i would think they would stabilize.

no need to rethink your 1:12 will even run a 200-210gn bullet with the right charge and powder. ( R17,Varget,R15 all come to mind )

just keep use posted to what happens and to what you go with.Again I am fixing to try the load said above soon[/QUOTE]

First test today, with what I had on hand. Loaded 178 gr A-Max in Fed Match cases 43.0, 43.5, 44.0 and 44.5 grains of Varget lit by Rem 9 1/2 primers. 43.0 shot best, under MOA in very windy conditions. My handloads actually shot better that the 175 gr Fed Gold Metal Match. I didn't do any case prep and only neck sized the fired cases.
db

44.0 grains of Varget in Winchester brass is an OCW load... should work great in the Howa... and should make well over 2650 fps MV.

Nosler180OCW.jpg

Nice group. I didn't chrono the loads today, too nasty out. There were no extraction marks on the base but there was some cratering on the primers but primers retained their shape and not flattened. My buddy ordered some 180 SMKs a Nosler and Barnes bullet so we shall see.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.