308 vs 30-06 and other rounds? WHY is a 308 better?!?

joshua99ta

guys this guestion has bothered me for a LONG time.

How come people say they'de take a 308 over a 30-06 or 7mm or some of the other more common hunting rounds? I havent read anything that makes the 308 a better caliber than a 30-06... at least I havent found anything that makes it a superior round to a 30-06? It obviously a little more effecient to be pushing similair velocities i guess.

I just can't see how it gets put up there as one of the best calibers out there. You can go to any forum and ask somebody to recommend a caliber MOST likely the 308 will be mentioned at least once in the first 5 replies?

I'm not trying to knock it but I just don't see where its soo great?​

excellent brass availability, efficient round, inherently accurate round, match grade ammo available, looong barrel life, good selection of bullets available for it.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. It is an excellent rifle for someone who doesn't reload since the match grade ammo is available, and it is an economic round to shoot. It isn't the best long range round out there, but it is OK at best.

the barrel life and brass availibilty is probably the only 2 reasons I see that you mentioned that makes it more desired. MOST people that shoot long range reload anyway and you can load anything you want for a 30-06.

I agree the 308 is an OK round but one of the best rounds on the market I wouldnt think so, and I have heard this before.

I'de like to see what other people say.

Ditto with what Britz said. With the exception of maybe match ammo, the same can be said of the 30-06. On occassion with the buying frenzy 308 sometimes isn't available locally, I've haven't had that problem with 30-06. 45 plus years ago the 30-06 was the buzz...as time rolled on the 308 became the buzz.

I wouldnt say the 308 is better. Better is a subjective term. It may be better in some regards and not as good in other regards.

the 06 isnt much faster than the 308. Why sacrifice a longer overall rifle, longer bolt throw, heavier all around weapon with added recoil and less barrel life to get another 100 FPS? The sacrifices dont justify the small gain. If youre going to use a long action then you should utilize a cartridge worthy of a long action. In other words get some bang for your buck. Granted, you can gain more than 100 FPS over the 308 when bullets over 200 grains are used but again, it still doesnt gain that much. The inherent accuracy of the 308 is extreemly good, coupled with a long barrel life, minimal powder consumption, and mild recoil it is a good all around caliber.

I get what you guys are saying. I just hear that the 308 is one of the best rounds out there and I don't believe that most people that say it even know WHY they say it b/c all they know is "the military has used it for years" therefore they believe it is the best around.

The link below is an article about the 308. It may shed a little light on the 308 for you.

Making A Case For The 308 Winchester

If you dont grasp why the 308 is such a popular round it is probably because you have not owned one or at least a good one.

The short answer is that it makes hitting very small targets consistently and long range easy. Its accuracy potential is outstanding as is its consistency (I attribute this to less barrel/throat wear and subsequent consistent performance). The only real draw back is that at really long range in high winds, it has no where near as windage resistant as other calibers. So it is either a more cumbersome caliber or more practice in the wind or both. The point of the 308 (IMHO) is that the barrels last a long long time. This equates to LOTS of trigger time before the barrel cooks. This affords you to become married with your weapon. When you are married with your weapon, good things happen. As far as energy and terminal performance you just have to select the right bullet for the job. There are more good bullets to choose from now then ever.

After you have owned large 7 mags and large 300 mags, and a modest 308 you will "understand".

Hope that helps!

I agree with Michael, (and the others), I've roasted barrels in my 257wby after a disappointing 900 rounds, (hot loads), and I have to rebarrel and work up another load for a new barrel all over again. But the Rem 788 .308 that my dad left me just keeps going and going. The same load has shot the same groups for thousands of rounds. The 308 is not the best at anything other than being a great shooting, accurate, cheap round. They're great.

My user name is a dead give away for where I stand on this one. I will conceed the 308 has proven to have better long range target accuracy. Under match conditions the wind and drop can be adjusted for shot after shot unlike hunting.

However the 06 will push a 200 grain bullet at the same velocity that a 308 can push a 180 grain bullet, or an 06 can push a 180 grain bullet at the velocity a 308 pushes a 165 grain bullet etc.

When you take into the account the improved BC I feel the 06 would actually have better accuracy than the 308 on that first shot when estimating environment conditions. I would think that the wind drift and enviromental factors would play a bigger role than any inherant accuracy advantage the 308 holds over the 06. Not to mention the 06 would hit a good bit harder on game.

Quality and cost of brass are the same laupa, norma etc and you will be hardpressed to find an 06 hunting rifle with the barrel burned out.

Last edited:
308 isn't "better."

I like the longer action so when I upgrade I really can upgrade.

This is LRH; a 30-06 goes further. And it is 3 to 400 fps faster.

Many will point out more sniper kills but in the same breath note the the 30-06 isn't used anymore.
More people use 308 in matches because of the "inherent accuracy". As proof they'll note more wins over the 30-06.

You see where I am going with the last 2, right?

Side note: I have been ridiculed in this fourm because my 30-30 can only effectively shoot out to, (now,) 550 yards with the FTX bullets. My 30-30 is always set against a 338 Edge or a 300 Winchester Magnum, why is the 308 held to such low standards? ;)

The .308 is a good cartridge, I use one for 75% of my deer hunting, accurate, powerful enough and I really like my short action bolt. Having said this, were I to own just one rifle, the 30-06 would be it. The versatility of the '06 can't be argued with.

First let me say I really enjoy reading threads where there are differing opinions. Not only is it interesting but I usually learn something as well. With that said, BEST CHOICE-it all boils down to the individuals criteria. For purposes of this discussion once the criteria has been defined then the choice is clear. Although sometimes the criteria may not have been defined enough resulting in a tie. In which case, define further. For example let say my criteria is as follows:

Caliber-.308
Bullet choices-many
Availability-Usually
Expense-Reasonable

So far both meet the criteria so you have to define until tie is broke. So lets say it needs to be a short action and if your satisfied that you have defined your criteria enough the the BEST choice would be the 308. Or maybe you want a long action and if your satisfied that you have defined your criteria enough the the BEST choice would be the 30-06.

Moral to the story-when you have a general conscensus such as was eluded to by the original post you will often find a general conscensus on the their criteria. Should something significant change you could see penjillum swing in the opposite direction and rather quickly. History is full of examples.

In my thinking the 308 became more popular with the military changing from the 30/06 to 308 and the avaiability of match ammo and brass in 308 from the military.
The 308 and 30/06 ballistically the same to 600 yards then the 30/06 may or my not be better depending on if the 30/06 in factory load, or if hand loaded the 30/06 can be much better with different bullets weights and high BC bullets.
Any thoughts

First let me say I really enjoy reading threads where there are differing opinions. Not only is it interesting but I usually learn something as well. With that said, BEST CHOICE-it all boils down to the individuals criteria. For purposes of this discussion once the criteria has been defined then the choice is clear. Although sometimes the criteria may not have been defined enough resulting in a tie. In which case, define further. For example let say my criteria is as follows:

Caliber-.308
Bullet choices-many
Availability-Usually
Expense-Reasonable

So far both meet the criteria so you have to define until tie is broke. So lets say it needs to be a short action and if your satisfied that you have defined your criteria enough the the BEST choice would be the 308. Or maybe you want a long action and if your satisfied that you have defined your criteria enough the the BEST choice would be the 30-06.

Moral to the story-when you have a general conscensus such as was eluded to by the original post you will often find a general conscensus on the their criteria. Should something significant change you could see penjillum swing in the opposite direction and rather quickly. History is full of examples.

I like this theory. Perspective of criteria is a much better way to discern which caliber to chose. I champion the .308 for training purposes due to recoil. I have shot plenty of 06's and they kill me. That's just me... recoil is subjective. But if you think about it, the first sniper rifle of the world wars in the American arsenal was a 1903 bolt action Springfield with optics. Soooooo, again we go back to application. I think Gunny Hathcock would argue the 30-06's ability for accuracy. But also there are a lot of new snipers that would argue for the .308. 30-06 effective range with military ammo for sniping purposes... 1200yrds, 308...1000yrds, have people shot further to save lives with either caliber? Priceless!!!!

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.